Dowd Fine Arts Center, Room 216
Arts and Sciences
Karen Bals Zimmerman (Chair), Thomas Hischak, Ralph Dudgeon, Kevin Halpin, Howard Lindh, Preston Marye, Edward Moore, David Neal, Joel Pape, Stephen Wilson
For a listing of adjunct faculty see the Faculty and Administration section.
Bachelor of Arts in Musical Theatre
American Musical Theatre
The Performing Arts Department includes programs in music and theatre, each offering a minor in addition to an interdisciplinary minor in American musical theatre and a concentration in music for elementary education majors. The department offers a wide range of intellectual and performance opportunities in music, theatre and dance, which are open to beginning through advanced students from all disciplines in the College. Theoretical study is balanced with practical work to allow students to explore the creative, aesthetic and intellectual aspects of these arts. Applied music (private study), music ensembles, dramatic productions and musical theatre productions highlight the skills developed in the classroom, studio and stage.
- Newly renovated facilities including a 477-seat theatre, recital hall, lab theatre, dozens of practice rooms, choral and instrumental rehearsal halls, and dance studio
- Instruments provided by the department to participants in ensembles
- Music and Listening Library
- Production of a main-stage musical each semester
- Individual attention from a world-class faculty in a liberal arts setting
- Scholarship support in theatre and music
- Alpha Psi Omega, national dramatic society
- Touring musical and dramatic groups
- Degree Requirements listed here apply to all of the majors offered by this department.
- Liberal Arts Requirements: B.A. – 90 credit hours