The Biological Sciences Department offers the Biomedical Sciences interdisciplinary major which provides the knowledge base and the physical and cognitive skills to successfully pursue professional careers or graduate programs in biomedical fields.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students in the Biomedical Sciences (BMS) Degree are expected to master the Biology Student Learning Outcomes in addition to the following:
- Achieve practical experience in biomedical sciences by completing a 160-hour internship in an approved professional setting.
- Demonstrate their understanding of primary scientific literature by accurately communicating (written and oral) information on contemporary issues in biomedical sciences.
- Understand and apply principles in health science and psychology to a career in the medical field.
Program Standard Grade Point Average Requirement
The major GPA is calculated by all courses identified in the college catalog as required for the major. In addition, this program has an established program standard GPA which may be used to determine progress in the program.
- Program Standard GPA
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 in any BIO or BMS course EXCEPT BIO 301, 302, 303, 306, 307 or 507
- Biomedical Sciences Major Requirements
- Upon completion of at least 41 credits in any BIO or BMS course EXCEPT BIO 301, 302, 303, 306, 307, or 507
- Medical professional
- Molecular biologist
- Medical technologist
Biological Sciences Department Course Retake Policy
A student is only permitted to retake a BIO course once per college policy. Any exceptions require permission of the instructor and the department chair and would only be granted on the last day of preregistration. The department considers enrollment in a course past the drop/add period as a retake, even if the student withdraws from the course before receiving a grade.