Enhance your perspective and capacity for administrative service as you gain the knowledge and skills to effectively develop schools and other learning communities. Merge theory and practice, and advance your career in educational leadership if you hold a master’s degree and permanent or professional teaching certification in New York by choosing the comprehensive school building leader, school district leader and school district business leader C.A.S. program at SUNY Cortland.
Under the guidance of our expert educational leadership faculty, you’ll examine important legal issues, the requirements of serving as a principal and the elements and value of strategic supervision. You’ll also investigate critical topics in finance, curriculum, organization, special programs and facilities maintenance and management. Field studies take you inside local schools for firsthand observation of district operations and activities. This program will prepare you for New York state’s school building leader, school district leader and the school district business leader assessments.
In addition to completing an initial internship and an advanced internship in educational leadership, you’ll participate in a culminating seminar where you’ll integrate your classroom and practical experiences.
When you complete the school building leader, school district leader and school district business leader C.A.S. program, you’re well prepared to take on the responsibilities of positions such as subject and content area supervisor, building administrator, director of athletics and physical education, business official, director of special education, curriculum coordinator, superintendent or central office administrator.
Check our online catalog to learn more about specific admission and program requirements for the school building leader, school district leader and school district business leader C.A.S.
To be considered for the Educational Leadership program, you must include, in addition to the completed graduate school application, the following materials:
- Certification and Degree: Proof of permanent or professional New York state teaching certification for the school building leader (SBL) and school district leader (SDL) programs and an official transcript showing the master’s degree already conferred.
- Resume: An updated resume with a minimum of three references with current telephone numbers.
- Recommendations: Three Candidate Recommendation Forms, which are available as part of the online application. These recommendation forms must be completed by practicing school leaders who support your candidacy. Once completed by the reference, the forms should be returned to you in a signed and sealed envelope to insure confidentiality. They should be included in the submitted packet. Please note the following:
- if you are from the teaching field, you must have one form from an administrator in your district’s central office, a second form from your immediate supervisor and a third form from a practicing educational administrator of your choice.
- If you are from a non-teaching, non-traditional background, you must have one recommendation form from your current organization’s chief executive officer, one form from your immediate supervisor and a third form from an educational supervisor/administrator of your choice.
- Essay: A written essay (one-to-two pages only, word processed, double-spaced with 12-point type) that addresses the following question: What is your vision of the school leader in American public schools of the 21st century?
- This essay is due with all other application materials and becomes part of the application file; this paper should not be handed in at a separate time.
- This paper should be well written in the form and quality that a future school leader would proudly provide a superintendent and/or board of education for review. A rubric for this essay is available as part of the online application.
This completed packet, along with the admissions application, is to be submitted to the SUNY Cortland Admissions Office. Once the application is complete, it will be scheduled for review by the Educational Leadership Department faculty committee.
Apply for the school building leader, school district leader and school district business leader C.A.S.