2015-16 Graduate Catalog 
    Jun 21, 2024  
2015-16 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Tuition and Fees

Student Accounts Office
Miller Building, Room 323
Fax: 607-753-5592

Expenses listed in this section are current as of the time of publication. All charges are subject to change without prior notice. It is recommended that students inquire about current rates or check the Student Accounts Office website.


The SUNY System was designed to provide quality educational access to qualified residents of New York state. Each individual SUNY campus is responsible for determining a student's residency status and tuition charges. The campus determination is final. The difference between the resident and non-resident tuition rates is significant, and the requirements can be complex. SUNY residency standards require that students have established a domicile, a principal and permanent home to which one always intends to return, as opposed to temporary residence incidental to community college or university attendance. A person may have many residences, but only one domicile. A person retains a domicile until it is abandoned.

Students who have maintained a domicile in New York state for a period of less than twelve months prior to their first registration are not considered residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate. One does not acquire domicile by mere physical presence in New York for purposes of attending a college or university. Proof of domicile is based on documented, previous and continuing intention to remain in New York state. Mere physical presence in New York for a 12-month period does not constitute domicile. Persons who have been physically present in New York for more than 12 months, but have maintained — or are dependents of someone who maintains — a permanent and principal residence outside of New York, or who intend to leave New York upon termination of their studies will not be eligible for resident tuition rates. Individuals do not meet the 12-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York state primarily to attend college. Students who are receiving resident educational benefits from another state are nonresidents.

Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) live(s) is a state other than New York are generally not eligible for the resident tuition rate. Dependent students are considered residents of the state where their parents/guardians are residents. Their documentation would rely on information relating to themselves and parents or legal guardians. Students claiming emancipation must furnish evidence of both financial independence and establishment of domicile.

Such documentation would include, but not be limited to, independent filing of both federal and New York state full-year resident tax returns, documented duration and purpose of physical presence in New York, exclusion of parental income on FAFSA documents, exclusion of parental claim for dependency on tax returns, employment within New York, state of residence of the student's family — parents, spouse, children — voter registration, vehicle registration, real property ownership or evidence of residential rental lease, student's assets or liabilities, evidence of utilities in the student's name, sources and extent of parental or other income, and place of residence during school recesses.

Driving a vehicle registered to or insured by one's parent, enrollment in a parent's health insurance plan as a dependent student, or use of PLUS loans constitutes acceptance of parental support. If students continue to accept financial support from parents, they may not be considered emancipated, even if the parents do not claim the students as dependents for tax purposes. Emancipated students are totally responsible for paying all of their own educational costs. The amount of income claimed by students must be documented and in excess of educational expenses, including those expenses associated with living in non-university housing. Income includes financial aid awarded directly to the student, with the exception of parental loans.

However, students of divorced or legally separated parents may acquire a New York state domicile if the custodial parent is a New York state resident or if the student resides with a non-custodial parent who is a New York state resident and the student continues to reside with that parent throughout their attendance at SUNY. An application for residency for tuition purposes is required along with supporting documentation for the New York state parent with whom the student intends to reside, as well as documents indicating that the student resides with the New York resident parent.

Governor Pataki signed an amendment to section 355 of the Education Law that provides that students who complete both their junior and senior years, as well as graduate from a New York state high school or who obtain a GED from New York state may qualify for resident tuition rates if they attend SUNY Cortland within five years. This includes undocumented alien students. The student must provide the Student Accounts Office with a certified high school transcript to substantiate this fact, along with an application for resident tuition rates. Undocumented alien students must also submit an affidavit of intent to resolve their undocumented immigration status. Please note that students who obtain resident rates in this fashion are not eligible for TAP or other aid with a New York state residency requirement.

Military personnel, their spouses or dependents, may qualify for resident tuition rates while the military person is stationed on full-time, active-duty basis in New York. Dependents of full-time active-duty personnel who are stationed outside of New York state may qualify for resident tuition if the service member's Home of Record was, at the time of entry into the military, and continues to be New York. Documentation of status must be provided each semester, as well as an initial application for resident tuition rates. Civilian employees of the military or Department of Defense are not included in these exceptions to domicile requirements.

Non-immigrant aliens admitted to the United States in visa categories that prohibit them from establishing a United States residence are not able to obtain resident tuition rates, regardless of the time domiciled in New York state. Students who claim to be immigrants must present proof of their status by providing the Student Accounts Office with a valid Permanent Resident Card. Once the immigrant status has been verified, the student may apply for residency as long as they meet normal domicile criteria.

Applications for residency for tuition purposes may be obtained at the Student Accounts Office or downloaded from the student accounts Web page. Residency applications must be complete and submitted no later than the last day to add or register for courses for the semester in question. In accordance with SUNY policy, any students who fail to complete and return the application and provide required documentation in order to confirm New York resident status will be charged non-resident tuition rates.


In accordance with SUNY Board of Trustees Policies, tuition charges are assessed by the student's matriculation status. Nonmatriculated students are charged tuition by the level of the course, as defined by the institution: undergraduate rates for undergraduate-level courses and graduate rates for graduate-level courses. Matriculated students are charged tuition based on the level of their matriculation. Matriculated undergraduate students will be charged undergraduate rates for all courses taken, regardless of course level.

A confirmation/remittance must be processed online each semester to confirm attendance and accept financial responsibility. Web payment options may be used to pay balances not covered by aid. Payment of balances not covered by financial aid is expected at confirmation. See the online How To Guide for assistance.

Full-time* resident graduate (annual - fall and spring semesters) $ 10,870
Full-time* nonresident graduate (annual - fall and spring semesters) $ 22,210
Part-time resident graduate (per credit hour) $     453
Part-time nonresident graduate (per credit hour) $     926

* Students are considered full time for billing, insurance and financial aid purposes at 12 or more credit hours.

A minimum of six credit hours is required for matriculated graduate students to receive federally guaranteed subsidized or unsubsidized Direct Student loans. The Financial Aid Office should be contacted for eligibility requirements.

Graduate Admissions Deposit

An admission deposit of $50 is required to confirm enrollment. The deposit is applied to the first semester tuition and fees. It is not refundable if you fail to enroll. Failure to acknowledge acceptance and pay the $50 deposit by the required date may result in deactivation of the application.

Deposit Due Dates

  • Fall applicants: the $50 tuition deposit is due April 15. Fall applicants accepted after March 15 will have 30 days from the date of the acceptance letter to submit the deposit.
  • Spring applicants: the $50 tuition deposit is due Sept. 15. Spring applicants accepted after Aug. 15 will have 30 days from the date of the acceptance letter to submit the deposit.
  • Summer applicants: the $50 tuition deposit is due Feb. 15. Summer applicants accepted after Jan. 15 will have 30 days from the date of the acceptance letter to submit the deposit.

Deposit Refund Policy

If the request for a refund is received by the Graduate Admissions Office before April 15 for fall applications, Sept. 15 for spring applications and Feb. 15 for summer applications, a full refund will be made within 30 calendar days of the date the request was received.*

Deposits are not refundable beyond the deposit due date.

*All refunds for deposits paid by check or money order will be mailed to the permanent address on file with the registrar. 


College Fee

The College Fee is $25 per year or $12.50 per semester for full-time students or $.85 per credit hour for part-time students. The fee is required under the administrative policy of State University of New York and generally is not refundable.

Program Service Charge

The College Program Service Charge is required of all students enrolled in credit-bearing course work and is designed to incorporate various normally required broad-based fees and charges. It is acknowledged that all students will not equally participate in activities of each of the component fees but will receive equivalent overall benefit from the universally available services, enhancing the campus life experience. Equitable distribution of costs across student populations helps keep offerings rich and varied while keeping the level of fees low in comparison to benefits provided. Certain special and remote-site programs are exempt from some fees.

Other Important Facts  

On-campus courses are not eligible for waivers of the Program Service Charge. However, field placements (internships, student teaching, etc.) more than 100 miles from campus may apply for a waiver of the Student Health Service Fee component only. All such waiver requests must be made in writing to the Student Accounts Office and received by Oct. 1 for fall semesters, March 1 for spring semesters and June 1 for summer sessions.

Fees marked with an asterisk (*) are pending approval.

The Program Service Charge consists of the following charges:

Student Activity Fee

The Student Activity Fee is used for on- and off-campus activities governed by the Student Government Association (SGA). SGA manages and allocates expenditures for clubs, sport clubs, organizations, fitness centers, speakers and special cultural, educational or social events.
Allocation: $9.25* per credit hour for part-time students and $110.00* per semester (fall/spring) for 12 or more credit hours.

Technology Fee

The Technology Fee funds a variety of technology networking and access services for students, including email accounts, computer labs, Internet access and technical support. All students pay the Technology Fee, except for study abroad students from other SUNY units who have paid this fee at their home campus.
Allocation: $16.00* per credit hour for part-time students and $191.50* per semester (fall/spring) for 12 or more credit hours. Technology Fee for summer and winter sessions is charged per credit hour, regardless of the number of credit hours enrolled.

Intercollegiate Athletics Fee

The Intercollegiate Athletics Fee funds intercollegiate athletics opportunities and is managed by the College Intercollegiate Athletics Board. NCAA regulations require this fund to be kept separately from Student Activities Fee funds.
Allocation: $15.80* per credit hour for part-time students and $189.50* per semester for 12 or more credit hours.

Student Health Service Fee

The Student Health Service Fee provides various health services to students, such as allergy shots, health and physical examinations, physician examinations and referrals, and various other services and educational programs. This fee may be waived only   for students on student teaching or internship assignments with field placements more than 100 miles from campus and for most online courses. All waiver requests must be made in writing to the Student Accounts Office and be received by Oct. 1 for fall semesters, March 1 for spring semesters and June 1 summer sessions.
Allocation: $13.25* per credit hour for part-time students and $158.00* per semester for 12 or more credit hours. The Health Service Fee may be charged during summer sessions.

Student Life Fee

The Student Life Fee provides support for student-life experiences that are rich, fun and fulfilling outside of the classroom to promote student well-being and healthy lifestyle habits intended to last a lifetime. It also provides additional support for intramural sports and will eventually replace SGA support for sports clubs, fitness centers and other activities included in the new student life center programming and facilities.
Allocation: $4.00 per credit hour for part-time students and $47.50 per semester (fall/spring) for 12 or more credit hours.

Transportation Fee

The Transportation Fee supports the enhanced on-campus shuttle service, provides for maintenance and student vehicle parking at the Route 281 lot. Students/staff must pay a vehicle registration fee in addition to the transportation fee.
Allocation: $6.40* per credit hour for part-time students and $76.00 per semester for 12 or more credit hours.

Transcript Fee

All enrolled students (undergraduate and graduate) as of Fall 2008 are charged a $5 per semester transcript fee. Any student enrolled at SUNY Cortland prior to Fall 2008 are "grandfathered" as a former student, and receive unlimited official transcripts as a lifetime service. Refer to the Registrar's website for detailed information on how to request an official college transcript. The College reserves the right to deny transcripts to any student who is delinquent in an obligation due to the College.

Alumni Fee

The Alumni Fee of $15 is included on each student's semester bill. The Alumni Association, through its endowment, provides thousands of dollars annually in student scholarships. Payment of the Alumni Fee makes scholarships and other programs and events possible. More information can be found on the Alumni Association website alumni.cortland.edu.

Students have the opportunity to waive the fee and have it removed from their semester billed charges. All waivers should be processed online via myRedDragon using the "Waiver Requests" menu item in the student accounts section.

Online waivers may be accepted up through the last day to officially withdraw from classes for the semester. Published official deadlines can be found on the Registrar's website. After that date, any request for waiver of the Alumni Fee must be made in writing directly to the Alumni Affairs Office, Brockway Hall, Room 208. No Alumni Fee waiver requests will be honored after the end of the semester in which the fee was charged.

Parking and Vehicle Registration Fee

Students are required to register their vehicles with the University Police Department. The cost for parking on campus varies by full or part-time status and for students on campus after 4 p.m. Rates are published on the Parking Department's Web page. Students can register for parking online. The University Police Department is open 24 hours a day.

Room and Board

Housing for graduate students is available at West Campus Apartments. Check with the Residence Life and Housing Office for details.  If a student intends to occupy a room, a room deposit of $150 will be required prior to on-campus room selection. This will be applied to room charges at the time of billing.

Commuter meal plans are available separately through the Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC) located in Neubig Hall.

Other Fees and Fines

Program Fees

Certain courses have additional expenses associated with them that may be charged to cover costs of student materials or special equipment necessary for rental, transportation or instruction, such as scuba equipment, art materials, etc. These are noted on the Web course listings and will be included on a semester bill. Other courses may have additional costs payable directly by the student that will not show on a billing statement, such as study abroad programs that require airfare, a visa, travel expenses or additional mandatory fees.

Re-admission Fee

A re-admission fee of $50 is charged to any student who files for re-admission to SUNY Cortland after any break in attendance that would require a student to reapply for admission to regain their status. This includes academic suspension, dismissal or failure to maintain registered student status and/or register. Veterans who provide a copy of their DD214 will be exempt.

Health Insurance Coverage

Due to the requirements and restrictions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the College's health insurance carrier has declined to underwrite a policy for the College. Domestic students will be responsible for securing their own coverage through a private carrier or health exchange. International students and students studying abroad are covered under a different policy mandated by SUNY. Intercollegiate athletes and those students involved in club sports must document they have health insurance in order to participate.

Students Participating in Sports 

Requirements for mandatory student health insurance remain in effect for students participating in intercollegiate sports and club sports. In accordance with NCAA regulations, Cortland team members must provide proof of adequate health insurance coverage at or before their initial team practice. Therefore, students needing insurance coverage must arrange for same through a private provider in advance of practice start date. Students must provide a valid health insurance ID card, with their name on it, to the Athletics Department as proof of coverage prior to the first team practice.

International and Study Abroad Students

Requirements for mandatory international student health insurance also remain in effect for international students and domestic students participating in study abroad. SUNY System Administration chooses the international health insurance carrier. All international students must have coverage that meets SUNY Board of Trustees minimum requirements. International students may want to consider purchase of domestic voluntary insurance if participating in intercollegiate athletics due to limits of liability for intercollegiate sports coverage in the international policy. Voluntary coverage for spouses, domestic partners, and/or dependents is available directly through the College's international insurance provider only for international students and their dependents.

Disclaimer (per SUNY Policy): "Neither the State of New York, through its agents, nor the State University of New York through its agents and employees, is responsible in any manner whatsoever for the payment of any claim for health-related services provided to individuals covered under this insurance policy. The State of New York and State University of New York are not responsible for obligations incurred by individuals who are not covered by this insurance policy. All individuals participating in State University's health insurance program described herein are responsible for reviewing all descriptions of the scope and level of coverage offered by this policy. Such participants will be solely responsible for obtaining additional coverage not provided under this program if such is deemed necessary by the participant."
(SUNY Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, Graduate Studies, and Professional Programs and Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Business, Memorandum to Presidents, "Guidelines for the Implementation of Health Insurance Coverage for International Exchange, Research, and Study Programs, Vol. 86, No. 9, June 5, 1986)

Verification of Coverage

At times, students may need to be referred by the Student Health Service or Counseling Center to off-campus providers for services beyond what is available on campus. The College strongly encourages students to be sure they have adequate health insurance prior to arrival on campus. Students should check with their current insurance carrier to verify they are covered by their family's plan while they are out of their normal coverage area. Find out if the carrier requires proof of student status to remain fully eligible for coverage. Students should be sure they have coverage at SUNY Cortland and in the surrounding localities such as Syracuse, Ithaca and Binghamton. If participating in intercollegiate sports, they should verify that they will be covered in areas where their team travels.

Students should know what the restrictions and limits of their coverage are. Under the Health Care Reform Act, full-time students under the age of 26 may retain coverage under a parent's policy. Students whose coverage is through an HMO (health maintenance organization) should verify with their plan administrators where they can and cannot obtain coverage in the local area. Inquire whether the HMO operates a providing network in the area and how to receive "guest" coverage in the local HMO while at school. Those covered by PPO's (participating provider organizations) should make sure they have participating providers in the area. We are not a participating provider with any insurance company, and the insurance company may not reimburse for services provided on campus that have an additional charge. Even if a student has emergency room coverage in the area, the emergency room should not be used as a replacement for non-emergency care. Those who find that their carriers do not provide service to them in the local area may find purchasing private insurance an excellent alternative to the risk of being non-insured. The best way to avoid problems is to make sure health insurance is in place before leaving home.

The Student Health Service Fee is not health insurance. It covers only services that are provided at the Student Health Service and Counseling Center, whereas health insurance covers services that are provided outside of the scope of on-campus services, such as laboratory and radiology tests, physical therapy and visits to physicians, hospitals and other providers.

Miscellaneous Fees and Fines

The State University of New York authorizes charges for items such as returned checks, late registration, rebilling and drop/add fees. Fines are authorized for parking violations, the late return or loss of library materials, and failure to return physical education or infirmary equipment. Residence hall damage fees may be assessed for damage to residence hall premises. All fees are subject to change.

Accessible Parking Violations (per ticket) $100
Account Re-bill/Late Payment Charge (maximum per bill) $  50
Alumni Fee (optional - per semester) $  15
Drop/Add Fee (per transaction) $  20
Fingerprint Service for Certification (pay to Career Services) $  10
Fingerprint Service for Certification (pay to state) $  94.25
Graduate Application Fee  $  65 
Health Transcripts (each) $    5
Late Registration Fee $  40
Monthly Payment Plan Fee (per semester) $  45
Re-admission Fee $  50
Returned Item Charge
   applied to financial instruments, such as checks,
   credit cards, ACH transactions returned unpaid by bank
$  20
Parking Fines (under 60 days due) $  25
Parking Fines (after 60 days) $ 30
SUNY Card $  10
SUNY Card (replacement) $  15


Billing and Payment Procedures

QuikPAY© Electronic Billing and Payment system

SUNY Cortland offers a safe, secure, environmentally friendly electronic billing and payment system through QuikPAY©, which allows you to pay, download or print a bill or statement 24/7, 365 days a year. Semester and monthly billing statements are electronically presented to you, as well as to any third parties you authorize, eliminating any postal mail delays. Each time a billing statement is posted to the system, an email notification will be sent to you at your Cortland email address. A notice also will be generated to any third parties you authorized to view your account and/or pay a bill on your behalf. 

QuikPAY© requires a secure log in with user ID and password. E-bills cannot be lost or stolen. Up to sixteen months of statements can be stored online, or you can download them to print or save on your own computer, eliminating lost invoices and allowing total control of your bill any time of day or night from anywhere in the world with Internet access. You and your authorized payers have access to payment transaction history, billing history and current account activity.

E-billing is environmentally friendly as it saves paper, postage, gasoline, transportation, payroll and other production costs involved with paper bills while you still have the convenience of printing a bill any time you need to. E-payment uses current industry standards for protecting and encrypting transaction data. Your checking account or credit card information never leaves your possession or is ever stored in the College's system.

Payment Policies

Students who register for the fall semester during the official registration period are billed in July with payment due in August. Advance registrants for the spring semester will be billed in December with payment due in January. Summer advance registrants will be billed in April with payment due in May. Winter Session bills will be posted in late November with payment due in early December.

Students who register in person after Web registration closes must be prepared to make payment arrangements or show proof of financial aid sufficient to cover their charges at that time. Students who register during drop/add are also expected to make payment arrangements at that time.

Notices of electronic bill posting are emailed to the student's Cortland email address. Students are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of their email address, telephone number and permanent address. QuikPAY© records should be checked often but not less than monthly as charges and financial aid amounts could change. The Registrar's Office should be notified of any address, telephone or email address changes. Students may review their bill or financial aid information at any time on QuikPAY© via their myRedDragon account.

Students may set up "authorized payers" on their QuikPAY© account. Authorized payers will receive a notification email to view bills or make payment. The notification email will be sent to the email address specified by the student when they set up the authorized payer account. Authorized payers are responsible for maintenance of email addresses and passwords after initial use.

Billing is done monthly, by semester. Statements reflect charge and financial aid information as of production date. Students are responsible for viewing their bills when produced. They should notify the Student Accounts Office promptly of any discrepancy. Deferral of billed charges against financial aid is dependent upon completion of all necessary paperwork, maintenance of satisfactory academic progress and program pursuit, and receipt of documentation from funding sources. Students are responsible for account balances and late fees if their financial aid awards do not become actual, are reduced or are removed for any reason. Semester bills plus any monthly statements should be retained for tax and reimbursement purposes.

Students must confirm attendance online or print, sign and return the confirmation/remittance portion of their billing statement. Online confirmation is available for students whose billed charges are fully covered by financial aid or who are using the Quick Pay option. Receipt of the online confirmation or remittance portion confirms attendance in classes for the semester indicated. Failure to process confirmation of attendance, along with valid deferral or required payment, by the due date will result in deletion of courses. A postmark on or prior to the payment due date does not constitute evidence of having paid on time. Payments received late or that are underpaid are subject to assessment of a late rebilling fee. Payments are deposited upon receipt. Post-dated checks cannot be accepted. Please use online options for credit card payments. For your safety, do not mail cash or credit card information.

SUNY Cortland does not delete registrations for nonpayment or non-confirmation of attendance if the student processes an initial registration during the add/drop period. Issuance of stop payment orders on payment method or failure to attend classes will not release students from liability for any course registrations.

Students are responsible for notifying the Registrar's Office as soon as possible if they have registered for the upcoming term but cannot attend.

Fees and assessments are due as indicated on billing statements. Other accrued debts owed to the College, or to any agency thereof, must be paid prior to registration. If the registration occurs in error, the College reserves the right to cancel current registrations for prior unpaid obligations. The College also reserves the right to withhold all information regarding the records of students, including transcripts, and prohibit future registration or granting of degrees for students in arrears in the payment of fees or other charges.

State law requires this agency to engage in collection activity on delinquent accounts. Accounts remaining unpaid at the end of the semester must be referred to outside collection agencies, the state attorney general or the state Department of Taxation and Finance. Late fees, interest and collection charges may be added to accounts considered more than 30 days past due pursuant to New York state, SUNY and Division of Budget Requirements.

Returned Check Policy

All financial instruments, including checks, or Web checks (ACH checks), that are returned unpaid will incur a $20 returned item charge. All checks returned unpaid by the bank may be redeposited once. If the check is returned a second time, restitution must be made by money order, certified check, cash or credit card. A $20 returned item charge will be incurred for the second rejected submission. Rejected credit card payments also will incur returned item charges. The College reserves the right to insist on payment in certified funds for students with three or more returned checks or ACH items.

Monthly Payment Plan Option

To assist students and parents/guardians in meeting financial obligations while attending the State University of New York College at Cortland, an installment plan is available. This four-payment option may be selected on the semester billing statement or online. The application fee is $45 per semester and must be paid with the down payment. The application fee is not refundable. Bills are due upon receipt. To avoid late fees, subsequent payments must be received by the 15th of each month (September-November for the fall semester and February-April for the spring semester). If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, payment must be received by the next immediate business day to avoid late fees. The College cannot offer a payment plan for winter or summer terms due to their short duration.

Payments not received on or before the 15th of the month are subject to assessment of a late rebilling fee. Payment plan enrollment is for the current semester only. Students who fail to enroll during the first month of the plan (August for fall semester or January for spring semester) must make up any payment amount missed. All payment plans end the last month of the plan and must be paid in full. The College reserves the right to deny future participation to students who fail to remain current on monthly plans. Students in arrears on monthly payment plans will be placed on hold and denied registration and other privileges.


Students who withdraw from SUNY Cortland before the semester begins or after a semester is under way may be entitled to receive refunds of some of the paid charges, deposits and fees. Those who are denied permission to register at the College will be entitled to a full refund of tuition, room and board charges. Students will receive a full refund of tuition and fees when a course is canceled by the College.

College withdrawal procedures must be followed in order to qualify for a refund. The Registrar's Office must have an official withdrawal form on file. Unofficial withdrawals do not qualify for refunds.

Tuition and Fees

Reduction of tuition liability is made according to SUNY Board of Trustees Policies. Students incur liability based on the length of the academic term and the date of official withdrawal. To qualify for liability adjustments and possible refund of paid amounts, students must follow the College's official withdrawal policy, fill out and properly submit official withdrawal from course or withdrawal from college form(s), which may be obtained in the Registrar's Office.

Unofficial withdrawals and judicial terminations/suspensions do not qualify for any reduction of tuition or fee liability. Stop payment orders on checks or credit card payments do not constitute official withdrawal.

Fee liability will only be adjusted up through the end of the 100 percent refund period for tuition.

Tuition liability calculations are separate and distinct from financial aid eligibility calculations. Financial aid packages will be affected by applicable Federal Title IV Regulations for students who withdraw before the 60 percent completion point of the semester. Those receiving federal financial aid in the forms of guaranteed Direct student loans, Pell, SEOG and Perkins loans may end up losing part or all of any aid awarded and/or paid. Students who are awarded 100 percent reduction of tuition and fee liability may not be eligible for any financial aid for that term. Any aid that has already been disbursed to the student may have to be immediately repaid to the College.

There will be no tuition or fee liability for students who withdraw to enter full-time active duty in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard of the United States. Students who are members of a National Guard or Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Air Force Reserve Unit are entitled to reduced liability only if, in the judgment of the designated school official, they are unable to attend classes due to hardship beyond their control and they have made bona fide efforts to permit continued attendance.

Documentation of membership and official orders must be provided to the College prior to liability reduction. In the event that a refund is granted to a student in National Guard or Reserve status, documentation of membership, orders and reasons for such actions shall be in writing and retained by the College (Student Accounts Office). Reduction of liability for military duty could adversely affect a student's current or future financial aid package.

No money shall be refunded unless application for refund is made within one year after the end of term for which the tuition requested to be refunded was paid to State University of New York. Students requesting medical leave of absence should contact the Student Accounts Office for refund information. Students receiving financial aid should always contact their financial aid advisor to determine the effect of any contemplated withdrawal on a current or future package.

A student who is given permission to cancel his/her registration shall be liable for payment of tuition in accordance with the following schedule:

Tuition Liability During Indicated Week

Length of term First Second Third Fourth Fifth
Full Semester 0 30% 50% 70% 100%
12-week term 0 40% 60% 100%  
10-week term 0 50% 70% 100%  
9-week term 0 55% 75% 100%  
Quarter or 8-week term 0 60% 80% 100%  
7-week term 0 65% 100%    
6-week term 0 70% 100%    
5-week term 0 75% 100%    


  Second day
of classes
Remainder of
first week
first week
4-week term 50%  100%
3-week term 65%  100%
2-week term 80%  100%
1-week term 100% — no refund once semester begins

Note: The first day of classes as scheduled by the campus shall be deemed to be the first day that any classes are offered, as scheduled by the campus' Academic Calendar Committee. The first day of the semester, quarter or other term, and the first week of classes for purposes of this section shall be deemed to have ended when seven calendar days, including the first day of scheduled classes, have elapsed.

Refunds will normally be made by check, if no direct deposit authorization exists. Checks will be mailed to the last known permanent address that the College has for the person seeking the refund. Payments made by credit card will be refunded to that card when possible. Room, tuition and board refunds require two weeks for processing.

College Fee

Once the semester begins, the College fee is nonrefundable, unless class is cancelled by the College.

Program Service or Course Activity Fees

The Program Service Fee is refundable only if students withdraw completely before the end of the first week of classes. After that date, the Program Service Fee is nonrefundable. Special activity fees, such as lab fees, art materials, course fees, etc., are not refundable after the 100 percent refund period for tuition ends.

Any courses with components taught at the Outdoor Education Center at Raquette Lake have fees attached specifically for that experience. During the official add/drop period, Outdoor Education Center fees are fully refundable. Students will incur 50 percent liability for the fee for any withdrawal after the end of the official withdrawal period, but at least 15 days prior to the session at Raquette Lake. No refunds of Outdoor Education Center fees are given for any withdrawal that occurs within the 14-day period immediately preceding the Raquette Lake experience.


Room refunds are based upon the date personal belongings are removed from the room and check-out procedures have been followed. In addition to forfeiture of the $150 room deposit, students who occupy a room for three weeks or less will receive a prorated refund based on the weekly charge for the number of weeks (or partial weeks) housed. Students who occupy a room after the Saturday following the third full week of occupancy in the residence halls will be liable for the entire semester's room rent. Terminations of the housing license due to judicial sanctioning do not receive a refund of room charges. Voluntary termination of the housing license will result in assessment of $150 termination fee.

Meal Plans

Dining plan options may be changed only by written request filed at the ASC Office in Neubig Hall prior to the close of business on the Friday of the first full week of classes.

The New York State Sales Tax Code governs the terms for tax-exempt dining plan refunds. The code stipulates that qualified refunds for tax-exempt plans will be based on time criteria and not plan utilization (see College Handbook). ASC will grant prorated refunds for nondisciplinary withdrawals, limited to the first 10 weeks of the semester. No refunds will be granted for disciplinary withdrawals. Exceptions and special situations will be evaluated on a case by case basis by the ASC executive director. All eligible refunds will be reduced by a rate that fairly represents noncontrollable business overhead expenses. Refunds for the declining balance portion of the meal plan are prorated for the time remaining in the current dining schedule; the refund will reflect the prorated balance or the actual balance, whichever is lower.

Refunds are coordinated with the SUNY Cortland Student Accounts Office. The dining plan refund will be applied to any balance or debt owed to the College or ASC.

Refund/Repayment of Financial Aid Funds

Students who withdraw from the College before completing 60 percent of the semester for which they received federal financial aid may be required to return or repay part or all of the aid received, depending upon the date of withdrawal.

Up through the 60 percent point of the semester a prorated schedule, as set by the federal government, is used to determine the amount of Title IV aid a student has earned for the payment period. Title IV aid includes Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Parent and Perkins Loans in addition to Pell and SEOG. This percentage is determined by dividing the total number of days completed by the student for the term by the total number of calendar days in the payment period (start to end of semester), excluding scheduled breaks of five days or more and days that the student was on approved leave of absence.

The total amount of Title IV aid earned is then determined by multiplying this percentage by the total amount of Title IV aid disbursed plus the Title IV aid that could have been disbursed for the payment period (semester). Anything in excess of this amount must be returned to the federal programs in the following order up to the total net amount disbursed by each source: Unsubsidized student loans, subsidized student loans, Perkins Loans, parent PLUS loans, Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), and Other Title IV programs. Students are responsible for returning to SUNY Cortland any part of unearned aid that was disbursed to them.

Students should consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawal to determine the financial impact. It is imperative that students adhere to the College's official withdrawal procedure to ensure the proper refund calculation.


The most current information available on the cost of attending SUNY Cortland is posted on the student accounts website on the Tuition and Costs Web page.

Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice due to changes that may be mandated by the SUNY/College Board of Trustees or state legislative action. Contact student accounts with specific questions.