The Kinesiology Department , which offers the major in coaching, provides the academic preparation to those students wanting a career in the coaching profession.
Academic content includes study in the key sports science disciplines described by the National Association for Sport and Physical Education's (NASPE) domains of coaching effectiveness, which stress the understanding of established principles in the relevant sport science areas.
The major in coaching contains a unique sequence of subjects that focus on the theory and practice of coaching and provides students with an experiential learning component with a coaching internship.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate content knowledge in Coaching.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate ability to think critically about information in Coaching.
- Demonstrate cultural competence in Coaching.
- Demonstrate Theoretical and practical skills in Coaching.
Program Standard Grade Point Average Requirement
The major GPA is calculated by all courses identified in the college catalog as required for the major. In addition, this program has an established program standard GPA which may be used to determine progress in the program.
- Program Standard GPA
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 in any EXS course
- Coaching Major Requirements
- 40 credits in any EXS course