The leisure/recreation program delivery concentration in the Recreation, Parks and Leisure Studies Department builds on the core curriculum in recreation programming, adding in-depth knowledge and skills in leadership, supervision, event planning, human growth and development and social behavior. Students can choose a curriculum focused on working with youth or with older adults. This major is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT).
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the following entry-level knowledge: a) the nature and scope of the relevant park, recreation, tourism or related professions and their associated industries; b) techniques and processes used by professionals and workers in these industries; and c) the foundation of the profession in history, science and philosophy.
- Demonstrate the ability to design, implement, and evaluate services that facilitate targeted human experiences and that embrace personal and cultural dimensions of diversity.
- Demonstrate entry-level knowledge about operations and strategic management/administration in parks, recreation, tourism and/or related professions.
- Demonstrate the sustained ability to apply the recreation process, use diverse, structured ways of thinking to solve problems related to different facets of professional practice, engage in advocacy, and stimulate innovation.
Program Standard Grade Point Average Requirement
The major GPA is calculated by all courses identified in the college catalog as required for the major. In addition, this program has an established program standard GPA which may be used to determine progress in the program.
- Program Standard GPA
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 in any REC course except REC 475
- Outdoor Recreation Major Requirements
- 41 credits in any REC course except REC 475
- Campus recreation director
- After school or teen center programmer
- Special events planner
- Retirement community activity director