Return to: Academic Programs
This Physics Department program is the traditional physics major found at institutions worldwide. Study includes a wide range of courses in physics and mathematics plus chemistry. This degree is necessary for those wishing to go on to graduate school and is also useful for those wishing to do technical work in a variety of disciplines.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Understand, recall and apply the core principles, concepts, theories, and laws of physics such as: Classical Mechanics, electromagnetic theory, thermodynamics, optics, circuits and electronics, introductory quantum mechanics, and the special theory of relativity.
- Understand, recall and apply basic mathematical theorems, strategies, concepts and applications commonly used in physics such as: Calculus, vector analysis and vector calculus, differential equations, complex analysis and matrices.
- Collect, evaluate, and interpret experimental data, including having a familiarity with the electronic and other equipment commonly used in laboratory settings.
- Present scientific information using accepted writing techniques.
- Present scientific information in oral presentations.
- Use computers and other information technology resources to locate, assemble and critically evaluate information from scientific literature.
- Design and create computer programs capable of performing numerical computations and data analysis.
Program Standard Grade Point Average Requirement
The major GPA is calculated by all courses identified in the college catalog as required for the major. In addition, this program has an established program standard GPA which may be used to determine progress in the program.
- Program Standard GPA
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 in PHY 201, 202, 203, 410, 420, 440, 450, or 300-599
- Physics Major Requirements
- 24 credits in PHY 201, 202, 203, 410, 420, 440, 450, or 300-599
- Graduate study in physics
- Industrial or governmental research
- Scientific advisor
- Technical support services