This major in the Modern Languages Department helps students to develop oral and written French language and culture skills that, combined with preparation in related disciplines, lead to a wide variety of career options.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Students will be able to comprehend and produce written and spoken French at a level commensurate with the advanced low level or higher as described in the current ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines.
- Students will be able to analyze, interpret, and compare literary, artistic, and cultural texts in French within different francophone cultures.
Program Standard Grade Point Average Requirement
The major GPA is calculated by all courses identified in the college catalog as required for the major. In addition, this program has an established program standard GPA which may be used to determine progress in the program.
- Program Standard GPA
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 in FRE 300-599
- French Major Requirements
- 30 credits in FRE 300-599
- Business: International trade, bilingual consultant, translator, customer support agent
- Government: Diplomacy, FBI, National Security Agency, Border patrol, immigration agencies, government or court translator
- Writing: Newspapers, trade publications, book publishers, translators, proofreaders, writers, editors
- Tourism and hospitality: Interpreter, guide, bilingual travel agent, study abroad coordinator or director
- Education: Teaching in private schools or in a private sector, pursue masters and/or doctorate to become a college professor