The communication studies concentration in public relations and advertising provides students for careers in public relations and advertising in both corporate settings and nonprofit organizations. Students are grounded in theory, method and application in the areas of public relations and advertising.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Examine various forms of communication as vehicles of human expression.
- Examine various forms of communication theory.
- Demonstrate the significance of communicative expression within cultural contexts.
- Generate and format information in written form for distribution via various media.
- Exhibit proficiency in oral discourse.
- Analyze the relationship between the media and society.
- Analyze ethical issues relating to communication and the media.
- Demonstrate use of information sources, analysis, and use of evidence
Program Standard Grade Point Average Requirement
The major GPA is calculated by all courses identified in the college catalog as required for the major. In addition, this program has an established program standard GPA which may be used to determine progress in the program.
- Program Standard GPA
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 in any COM course EXCEPT in COM 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, or 399
- Communication Studies Major Requirements
- 36 credits in any COM course EXCEPT in COM 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, or 399
- Public relations manager
- Campaign manager
- Advertising executive
- Marketing director
- Promotions manager