Aug 01, 2021
Associate Dean of Professional Studies
Professional Studies Building, Room 1175
Associate Dean of Education
Education Building, Room 1239-A
Associate Dean, School of Professional Studies
Associate Dean, School of Education
Bachelor of Science in Selected Studies
The Selected Studies program is an individually designed degree program for upper-division students in either the School of Professional Studies or the School of Education. Students complete all college requirements and build two areas of emphasis (concentrations) or a concentration and a minor to complete the degree, allowing for a customized program to meet their specific interests. This program is open to students with 90 or more credit hours, and students must apply and be accepted by their respective associate dean.
- Degree Requirements listed in this catalog apply.
- Liberal Arts Requirements: B.A. – 90 credit hours; B.S. – 60 credit hours
A. Required Courses: 24 credit hours
Select 24 credit hours in area(s) of emphasis.
B. Other: 15-24 credit hours
Select 15-24 credit hours in minor or in a second area of emphasis.
C. Residency Requirement
Half of the credit hours in the area(s) of emphasis and minor, if selected, must be taken at SUNY. Cortland.
D. At least 45 credit hours at the 300 level or above
E. Writing Intensive Requirement: 6 credit hours
Six credit hours of Writing Intensive (WI) courses is required, at three of which are in the area of emphasis.
Selected Studies Policies
- Students should meet with the associate dean as early as possible in a given semester to discuss this option.
- Students are required to submit a proposal to their respective associate dean. Program proposals are developed in consultation with a faculty mentor and approved by the Selected Studies Degree Program Committee.
- Proposals are due to the Selected Studies Degree Program Committee after a student has earned 90 credit hours and before taking courses towards this major.
- Suggested deadlines for submission of proposals to committee members for review are Oct. 15, Feb. 15 and June 15 of each academic year. Students need to meet with the program coordinator as early in the semester as possible.
- It is suggested that a minimum of 15 credit hours of course work in the area(s) of emphasis/minor be completed after the Selected Studies proposal has been accepted.
- Students in the School of Education who have completed each of the following: all college requirements, an area of emphasis in pedagogy and a concentration or minor may petition to complete the Selected Studies Program without earning the additional 15 credit hours.
- Selected Studies Program students may qualify for cooperative education academic field experiences for a maximum of 3 credit hours.
- A maximum of eight credit hours in activity courses is allowed unless the previous major requires additional activity credits.
- The Selected Studies Program may not be used as a dual major.
- Requests for alterations in a student's degree plan must be made through the advisor-mentor and approved by the program coordinator.
Total Credit Hours Required for Graduation: 120