2018-19 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]
Performing Arts Department
Kevin Halpin, chair
Dowd Fine Arts Center, Room 216
School of Arts and Sciences
Faculty and Staff
Jacob Carll, Deena Conley, Lynn Craver, Kevin Halpin, Scott Holdredge, Preston Marye, Edward Moore, David Neal, Joel Pape, Jeffrey Whetstone
For a listing of adjunct faculty see the Faculty and Administration section.
Degree and Minors
Bachelor of Arts in Musical Theatre
Minor in American Musical Theatre
Minor in Music
Minor in Theatre
The Performing Arts Department offers a major in musical theatre, and minors in music and theatre, as well as an interdisciplinary minor in American Musical Theatre. Independent degree programs in technical theatre also may be created by advisement. The department offers a wide range of intellectual and performance opportunities in music, theatre and dance, which are open to beginning through advanced students from all disciplines in the College. Theoretical study is balanced with practical work to allow students to explore the creative, aesthetic and intellectual aspects of these arts. Applied music (private study), music ensembles, straight and musical theatre productions highlight the skills developed in the classroom, studio and stage.
Musical Theatre graduates have found success in professional productions in New York, regional theaters and on national tours, as well as in community theatre organizations. They assist and provide leadership in primary and secondary school productions, and often continue their education in musical theatre in an M.F.A. or M.A. program in music, theatre or musical theatre.
- Facilities include a theatre with more than 400 seats, recital hall, lab theatre, many practice rooms, choral rehearsal hall and dance studio
- Production of main-stage musicals each year
- At least one non-musical production each year
- Individual attention from a world-class faculty in a liberal arts setting
- Scholarship support in musical theatre
- Degree requirements listed in this catalog apply to all of the majors offered by this department.
- Liberal Arts Requirements: B.A. – 90 credit hours