2008-2009 Graduate Catalog 
    Feb 26, 2024  
2008-2009 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Entering SUNY Cortland



Admission and Registration


Graduate Studies Office
Brockway Hall, Room 216
(607) 753-4800
E-mail: gradstudies@cortland.edu

The State University of New York College at Cortland offers courses leading to a master of arts, a master of science, a master of science in education, a master of arts in teaching, a master of science in teaching, and a certificate of advanced study. The certificate of advanced study in American civilization and culture is for international students only. The certificates of advanced study in educational leadership with concentrations in school building leader, school district leader and school district business leader are post-master's programs.

Students may enroll in graduate-level courses on a full-time or part-time basis. Most courses are offered in the late afternoon and evening, Monday through Thursday.

Graduate students with a SUNY Card, attending full time or part time, are entitled to all campus privileges, including the use of library and recreational facilities. Personal and career counseling are available as well.

Admission to Graduate Study

The following items are required of students who plan to apply for a master's degree or certificate of advanced study program:

1. A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Applicants who apply for graduate school before obtaining their undergraduate degrees may be accepted into a program but will not be allowed to register for classes until the degree is obtained and a final, official transcript is received by the Graduate Studies Office.

2. An application for admission to graduate study along with the $65 application fee must be submitted by the following deadlines:

Entry Term   Application Due Date
  July 1
December 1
April 1

Completion of application requirements by the stated deadline is the responsibility of each applicant. To be assured of timely review of applications, students will need to submit them by the deadline. Completed applications received after the deadline will be considered as time and available enrollment space permit. Admission to any graduate program may close before the above published deadline.

3. Fulfillment of the specific admissions requirements of the department of the College in which enrollment is sought. Departmental requirements are listed with the descriptions of graduate curricula.

Exceptional applicants who do not meet all of the listed admission requirements for a graduate program may be considered on an individual basis. If admitted, these students may be required to complete additional requirements for the degree (M.A., M.S., M.A.T., M.S.T., M.S.Ed., C.A.S.) beyond those stated in the catalog. These additional requirements will be determined by the graduate coordinator of the degree program and may include specific courses, limited in number, based on the students' academic background. Applicants seeking financial aid are strongly encouraged to discuss the financial impact of such additional course work with the Financial Advisement Office.

Additional admission requirements for degree programs leading to New York State teacher certification:

  1. All applicants must complete the SUNY Cortland Teacher Education Program Application.
  2. In degree programs leading to professional New York State teacher certification, applicants must have initial certification before they are eligible for admission to degree status.
  3. The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and the Master of Science in Teaching (M.S.T.) programs do not require certification.

Additional admission requirements for certificate of advanced study in educational leadership (school building leader, school district leader, and school district business leader):

  1. A master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
  2. A completed the SUNY Cortland Teacher Education Program Application.
  3. For the school building leader and school district leader programs, permanent or professional New York State teacher certification. The school district business leader program does not require teacher certification.
  4. Satisfaction of the specific admission requirements of the Educational Leadership Department. These requirements are listed in this catalog under the Educational Leadership Department.

Additional admission requirements for International Students:

SUNY Cortland welcomes applications from foreign nationals seeking matriculation into graduate programs. Prospective international graduate students must meet the general admission requirements for graduate study as described above and must also meet the specific requirements for the program to which they are applying. In addition, prospective international graduate students must also provide the following materials to the Graduate Studies Office:

  1. Application for International Students (English proficiency report, autobiographical essay and financial support statement). These forms are available from the SUNY Web site at www.suny.edu/student/forms.cfm.
  2. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam report. The minimum score is 550 on the paper-based test or 231 on the computer-based test.
  3. Official college transcripts with professional translation of all documents into English along with the original documents.
  4. Application deadline for fall semester is April 1; application deadline for spring semester is September 1.

Applications will be reviewed for admission based on academic accomplishments, ability to finance the education and level of proficiency in the English language.

Immigration form I-20, which the applicant will use to secure an F-1 visa, will be issued to the applicant once all required information has been received and the applicant has been accepted to the College.

Confidentiality Notice

Information concerning applications for admission, application materials, application status or any other associated records is considered confidential and will be discussed only with the applicant.

Part-time and Non-degree Status

Graduate students may attend day or evening classes as part of a degree program on a part-time or full-time basis. In order to work toward a degree, students must be admitted formally to degree status. Details may be obtained from the Graduate Studies Office.

Students who have not been admitted to a graduate degree program may enroll in courses as non-matriculated students by registering through the Graduate Studies Office. Graduate nonmatriculated students may not register for more than nine credit hours and will only be permitted to register just prior to the opening of the semester, based on course availability.

Before non-matriculated graduate students have earned nine graduate credit hours at SUNY Cortland, they must apply through the Graduate Studies Office for matriculated status, change their status to non-degree seeking or discontinue course work at Cortland. The Financial Advisement Office should be consulted for information on financial aid and student loans.

Pre-graduate Status

Applicants with deficiencies in their undergraduate preparation may be admitted as pre-graduate students. These pre-graduate students must complete specific undergraduate courses to make up for these deficiencies. Pre-graduate students pay the undergraduate tuition rate for these undergraduate courses.

Pre-graduate students become matriculated graduate students when the their advisor notifies the Graduate Studies Office that they have successfully completed the specified undergraduate courses. The Financial Advisement Office should be consulted for information on financial aid and student loans.

Identification Cards

All students who register for courses at the College are required to have a SUNY Card. More information about the programs and services available to students with a SUNY Card can be found in the Teacher Certification Information section of this catalog.


All graduate and non-matriculated graduate students register for courses through the Graduate Studies Office. Registration information for each academic term is available on the College's Web site and on the registrar's home page under Course Schedule. Matriculated graduate students register online during the Web registration period. Detailed information about registration and billing is available on the Web at myRedDragon.

Eligible students who do not register during the official Web registration period may enroll and pay at the time of registration on a continuous basis up until the beginning of the term. Nonmatriculated graduate students may register if course availability permits, beginning approximately two weeks before classes begin — registration information is available on the College Web site for specific dates. Matriculated graduate students may register on myRedDragon without payment until the deadline date for billing privileges is established.

Students who do not pay their tuition bill for the courses for which they have registered by the payment deadline will be de-registered.

Undergraduates in Graduate Courses

Graduate courses are numbered 500-699. Courses numbered 600-699 are exclusively for graduate students. Courses numbered 500-599 are open to juniors and seniors in good academic standing — cumulative grade point average of 2.0. Undergraduate students enrolled in graduate 500-level courses will receive undergraduate credit for these courses.

Senior undergraduate students in their final semester may request permission to register for a 500-level course for graduate credit. A form for this purpose is available from the respective associate dean. Approval must be obtained from the school associate dean for the major.

The total course load, including undergraduate and graduate credit, may not exceed 16 credit hours during the semester or six credit hours during a five-week summer session. Students are cautioned that graduate credits thus earned may not be transferred toward meeting the requirements for the master's degree at another institution.

Mohawk Valley Graduate Center

Donovan Hall, Room 106-A
Route 12 North, Horatio Street
Utica, NY 13504
(607) 792-7828

The Mohawk Valley Graduate Center (MVGC) is operated by SUNY Cortland at SUNY Institute of Technology in Utica, N.Y., and is supervised by the director of graduate studies. The center offers graduate courses leading to master's degrees in literacy education and the post-master's degree program leading to the certificates of advanced study in educational leadership (school building leader, school district leader or school district business leader). All courses are offered at the MVGC except for the culminating experience in each program. Some health and other courses also are offered. A complete listing of courses is available at www.cortland.edu/registrar/coursescheduleregistration.html.

Summer Session

Brockway Hall, Room 216
(607) 753-4800

A Summer Session schedule of courses and registration information is available in early spring on the Web on the registrar's home page.

Graduate courses are typically available in two consecutive five-week sessions. Some short (intensive) courses may be offered over two-week sessions. The maximum number of credit hours a student may take each Summer Session is eight, for a total of 16.

A student taking a three- or four-credit hour short (intensive) course during one five-week term may not take a class that meets the full five-week term, but may register for another short (intensive) course or, if the schedule permits, two short (intensive) courses with exclusions made for physical education activities and clinics. None of the courses may overlap.

The financial aid rules for Summer Session differ slightly from those for fall and spring. An advisor in financial advisement should be consulted for details.

Winter Session

Brockway Hall, Room 216
(607) 753-4800

The Winter Session Office provides a variety of courses in a two-week session in January that starts shortly after New Year's Day. Students may take a maximum of five credit hours during Winter Session.

All policies and procedures related to Winter Session are implemented by the Graduate Studies Office, including cancellation of classes, scheduling of classrooms, faculty contracts and pay arrangements. A preliminary listing of Winter Sessions courses is available on the SUNY Cortland Web site in August. The complete Winter Session course listing is available on the SUNY Cortland Web site in October.

Tuition and Fees


Student Accounts Office
Miller Building, Room 323
(607) 753-2313

Expenses listed in this section are current as of the time of publication. All charges are subject to change without prior notice. It is recommended that students inquire about current rates or check the Web site at www.cortland.edu.


The SUNY system was designed to provide quality educational access to qualified residents of New York State. SUNY residency standards require that students have established a domicile, a principal and permanent home to which one always intends to return, as opposed to temporary residence incidental to community college or university attendance. A person may have many residences but only one domicile.

Students who have not maintained a domicile in New York State for a period of one year prior to their first registration are not considered residents. One does not acquire domicile by mere physical presence in New York for purposes of attending a college or university. Proof of domicile is based on documented, previous and continuing intention to remain in New York State. Mere physical presence in New York for a 12-month period does not constitute domicile.

Persons who have been physically present in New York for more than 12 months, but have maintained (or are dependents of someone who maintains) a permanent and principal residence outside of New York or who intended to leave New York upon termination of their studies will not be eligible for resident tuition rates. Students who are receiving resident educational benefits from another state are nonresidents.

Dependent students are considered residents of the state where their parents/guardians live. Their documentation would rely on information relating to themselves and parents or legal guardians. Students claiming emancipation must furnish evidence of both financial independence and establishment of domicile.

Such documentation would include, but not be limited to, independent filing of both federal and New York State full-year resident tax returns, documented duration and purpose of physical presence in New York, exclusion of parental income on FAFSA documents, exclusion of parental claim for dependency on tax returns, employment within New York, state of residence of the student's family (parents, spouse, children), voter registration, vehicle registration, real property ownership or evidence of residential rental lease, student's assets or liabilities, evidence of utilities in the student's name, sources and extent of parental or other income, and place of residence during school recesses.

Driving a vehicle registered to one's parent, enrollment in a parent's health insurance plan as a dependent student, or use of PLUS loans constitutes acceptance of parental support. If students continue to accept financial support from parents, they may not be considered emancipated, even if the parents do not claim the students as dependents for tax purposes.

Emancipated students are totally responsible for paying all of their educational costs. The amount of income claimed by students must be in excess of educational expenses, including those expenses associated with living in non-university housing. Income includes financial aid awarded directly to the students with the exception of parental loans.

Non-immigrant aliens admitted to the United States in visa categories which prohibit them from establishing a United States residence would not be able to obtain resident tuition rates, regardless of the time domiciled in New York State. The Bursar/ Student Accounts Office will determine if a visa falls within one of these categories. Immigrant aliens who may lawfully reside in the United States on a permanent basis may obtain resident tuition rates under normal domiciliary requirements.

Military personnel, their spouses or dependents may qualify for resident tuition rates while the military person is stationed on active duty on a full-time basis in New York. Documentation of such must be provided each semester for active military personnel and their dependents, as well as an application for resident tuition rates.

Governor Pataki signed an amendment to section 355 of the Education Law that provides that students who complete both their junior and senior years, as well as graduate from a New York State high school may qualify for resident tuition rates if they attend SUNY Cortland within five years of high school graduation. The students must provide the Bursar/Student Accounts Office with a certified high school transcript to substantiate this fact along with an application for resident tuition rates.

The Bursar/Student Accounts Office has complete information regarding residency. Applications for residency for tuition purposes may be obtained at the Student Accounts Office or downloaded from the Student Accounts Web page. Residency applications must be completed no later than the last day to add or register for courses for the semester in question. In accordance with SUNY policy, any students who fail to complete and return the application and provide required documentation in order to confirm New York resident status will be charged nonresident tuition rates.


In accordance with SUNY Board of Trustees Policies, tuition charges are assessed by the student's matriculation status. Nonmatriculated students are charged tuition by the level of the course, as defined by the institution: undergraduate rates for undergraduate- level courses and graduate rates for graduate-level courses. Matriculated students are charged tuition based on the level of their matriculation. Matriculated undergraduate students will be charged undergraduate rates for all courses taken, regardless of course level.

A confirmation/remittance portion of the billing statement must be returned each semester to confirm attendance and acceptance of charges. Online acceptance of charges may be substituted if the student's billed charges are fully covered by financial aid at the time payments are due or Web payment options are utilized.

Full-time* resident graduate  


  (annual - fall and spring semesters)  


Full-time* nonresident graduate  


  (annual - fall and spring semesters)  


Part-time resident graduate  


  (per credit hour)  


Part-time nonresident graduate  


  (per credit hour)  


* Students are considered full time for tuition and financial aid purposes at 12 or more credit hours.

A minimum of six credit hours is required for matriculated graduate students to receive federally guaranteed subsidized or unsubsidized student loans. The Financial Advisement Office should be contacted for details.


College Fee

The College Fee is $25 per year or $12.50 per semester for full-time students or $.85 per credit hour for part-time students. The fee is required under the administrative policy of State University of New York and generally is not refundable.

Program Service Charge

The College Program Service Charge is required of all students enrolled in credit-bearing course work and is designed to incorporate various normally required fees and charges. It is acknowledged that all students will not equally participate in each of the component fees but will receive equivalent overall benefit from the universally available services, enhancing the campus life experience. Equitable distribution of costs across student populations helps keep offerings rich and varied while keeping the level of fees low in comparison to benefits provided. Certain special and remote-site programs are exempt from some fees.

Other Important Facts

On-campus courses are not eligible for waivers of the Program Service Charge. However, field placements (internships, student teaching, etc.) more than 100 miles from campus may apply for a waiver of the Student Health Services Fee component only. All such waiver requests must be made in writing to the Vice President for Student Affairs and received by Oct. 1 for fall semesters, Mar. 1 for spring semesters, and June 1 for summer sessions.

The Program Service Charge consists of the following charges:

Student Activity Fee

The Student Activity Fee is used for on- and off-campus activities governed by the Student Government Association (SGA). SGA manages and allocates expenditures for clubs, organizations, fitness centers, speakers and special cultural, educational or social events.
Allocation: $8.20 per credit hour for part-time students and $98 per semester (fall/spring) for 12 or more credit hours.

Technology Fee

The Technology Fee funds a variety of technology networking and access services for students, including e-mail accounts, computer labs, Internet access and technical support. All students pay the Technology Fee, except for study abroad students from other SUNY units who have paid this fee at their home campus.
Allocation: $11.25 per credit hour for part-time students and $135 per semester (fall/spring) for 12 or more credit hours. Technology Fee for summer and winter sessions is charged per credit hour.

Intercollegiate Athletics Fee

The Intercollegiate Athletics Fee funds intercollegiate athletics opportunities and is managed by the College Intercollegiate Athletics Board. NCAA regulations require this fund to be kept separately from Student Activities Fee funds.
Allocation: $12.60 per credit hour for part-time students and $151 per semester for 12 or more credit hours.

Student Health Services Fee

The Student Health Services Fee provides various health services to students, such as allergy shots, health and physical examinations, physician examinations and referrals, and various other services and educational programs. This fee may be waived only for students on student teaching or internship assignments with field placements more than 100 miles from campus and for most online courses. All waiver requests must be made in writing to the Vice President for Student Affairs and be received by Oct. 1 for fall semesters, Mar. 1 for spring semesters, and June 1 summer sessions.
Allocation: $9.45 per credit hour for part-time students and $113 per semester for 12 or more credit hours. Health Services Fee may be charged during summer sessions.

Transportation Fee

The Transportation Fee supports the enhanced on-campus shuttle service, provides for maintenance and student vehicle parking at the Route 281 lot. Students/staff must pay a vehicle registration fee.
Allocation: $5.00 per credit hour for part-time students and $60 per semester for 12 or more credit hours.

Transcript Fee

Effective Fall 2008, all enrolled students (undergraduate and graduate) will be charged a $5 per semester transcript fee. Any student enrolled at SUNY Cortland prior to Fall 2008 will be "grandfathered" as a former student and receive unlimited official transcripts as a lifetime service. Refer to the Registrar's Web site for detailed information on how to request an official college transcript.

Alumni Fee

The Alumni Fee of $15 is included on each student's semester bill. The Alumni Association, through its endowment, provides more than $34,000 annually in student scholarships. By electing to pay the Alumni Fee included on the semester bill, scholarships and other programs and events are made possible. More information can be found on the Alumni Association Web site at www.cortland.edu/alumni/.

As an optional charge, students have the opportunity to waive the fee and have it removed from their semester billed charges. All waivers should be processed on myRedDragon using the "Waiver Requests" menu item in the Student Accounts section.

Online waivers may be accepted up through the last day to officially withdraw from classes for the semester. Published official deadlines can be found on the registrar's Web site at www.cortland.edu/registrar/calendarinformation.html. After that date, any request for waiver of the Alumni Fee must be made in writing directly to the Alumni Affairs Office, Brockway Hall, Room 208. No Alumni Fee waiver requests will be honored after the end of the semester in which the fee was charged.

Parking and Vehicle Registration Fee

Students are required to register their vehicles with the University Police Department. The cost for parking on campus varies by full or part-time status and for students on campus after 4 p.m. Students can register for parking online at www.cortland.edu/univpolice/dpspark.htm. The University Police Department is open 24 hours a day for permit pick up.

Full-time graduate student, per year
Full-time graduate student, per semester
Part-time graduate student, per year
Part-time graduate student, per semester
Classes beginning after 4 p.m., per year

Room and Board

Graduate students are not normally housed on campus. Room and board may be requested on a space-available basis or to accommodate special needs when necessary. If a student intends to occupy a room, a room deposit of $150 will be required at the time of application for an on-campus housing assignment. This will be applied to room charges at the time of billing.

Commuter meal plans are available separately through the Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC) located in Neubig Hall.

Other Fees and Fines

Program Fees

Certain courses have additional expenses associated with them that may be charged to cover costs of student materials or special equipment necessary for instruction, i.e. scuba equipment, art materials, etc. These are noted on the Web course listings and will be included on a semester bill. Other courses may have additional costs payable directly by the student that will not show on a billing statement, such as study abroad programs which require airfare or travel expenses.

Student Health Insurance

All full-time SUNY Cortland undergraduate students, defined as registered for 12 or more credit hours, will have an annual charge for Student Health Insurance added to their fall semester bill. New or readmitted undergraduate students for spring semesters will have a prorated annual premium on their spring semester bill. This charge may be waived if students have their own coverage or are covered by a parent's plan.

Part-time students and graduate students, enrolled for at least six hours of course work, may voluntarily purchase insurance coverage by following instructions on the SUNY Cortland Web site at www.cortland.edu/student_accounts/. Links to detailed information regarding coverage, rates, waivers and various important dates will be found here also. Restrictions on credit hours required and the dates by which students must enroll will be enforced. Full-time students who are covered by a parent's HMO plan, but who do not have a provider in the area, may elect to retain the College plan to provide continuity of coverage while they are out of their provider area network.

In accordance with NCAA regulations, participants on SUNY Cortland's intercollegiate athletic teams must provide proof of health insurance coverage before commencing practice sessions. Therefore, students needing to use the College plan for coverage, must positively affirm their enrollment online with the insurance carrier in advance of practice session start date. This will allow the student to obtain a copy of an insurance ID card to provide to the Athletics Department.

Students on study abroad programs, either inbound or outbound, may be required to purchase additional insurance. The International Health Insurance carrier is chosen by SUNY Central Administration. All international students must have coverage that meets SUNY Board of Trustees minimum requirements.

Health Insurance rates change annually. Please inquire at the Student Accounts Office or consult the www.cortland.edu/student_accounts/ Web site for both international and domestic insurance rates. Voluntary coverage for spouses, domestic partners and/or dependents is available directly through the College's named insurance provider(s). Please note that students who waive any required health insurance coverage accept full responsibility for any medical expenses they may incur.

Miscellaneous Fees and Fines

The State University of New York authorizes charges for items such as returned checks, late registration, rebilling and drop/add fees. Fines are authorized for parking violations, the late return or loss of library materials, and failure to return physical education or infirmary equipment. Residence hall damage fees may be assessed for damage to residence hall premises. All fees are subject to change.

Account Re-bill/Late Payment Charge (maximum per bill)   $50
Alumni Fee (optional - per semester)   $15
Drop/Add Fee (per transaction)   $20
Fingerprint Service for Certification (pay to UPD)   $10
Fingerprint Service for Certification (pay to state)   $94.25
Graduate Application Fee   $65
Health Transcripts (each)   $4
Late Registration Fee   $40
Monthly Payment Plan Fee (per semester)   $35
Returned Item Charge   $20
  applied to financial instruments, such as checks,
credit cards, ACH transactions returned unpaid by bank
Parking Fines (under 60 days due)   $25
Parking Fines (after 60 days)   $30
Parking Permit (per semester)   $56.20
SUNY Card   $10
SUNY Card (replacement)   $15

Tuition and Fee Payment Policies

Payment Policies

Students who register for the fall semester during the official registration period are billed in July with payment due in August. Advance registrants for the spring semester will be billed in December with payment due in January. Summer advance registrants will be billed in April with payment due in May. Winter Session bills will be mailed in late November with payment due in early December.

Students who register in person after Web registration closes must be prepared to make payment arrangements or show proof of financial aid sufficient to cover their charges at that time. Students who register during drop/add are also expected to make payment arrangements at that time.

Bills for semester charges are mailed to the permanent address on record. Students are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of their billing (permanent) address. Records should be checked often. The Graduate Studies Office should be notified of any address, telephone or e-mail address changes. Students may review their bill or financial aid information any time on myRedDragon.

Billing is done on a semester basis. Statements reflect charge and financial aid information as of print date. Deferral of billed charges against financial aid is dependent upon completion of all necessary paperwork, maintenance of satisfactory academic progress and program pursuit, and receipt of documentation from funding sources. Students are responsible for account balances and late fees if their financial aid awards do not become actual, are reduced, or are removed for any reason. Semester bills plus any monthly statements should be retained for tax and reimbursement purposes.

Students must return the confirmation/remittance portion of their billing statement or confirm attendance online. Online confirmation is available for students whose billed charges are fully covered by financial aid or who are using the Web payment option. Receipt of the online confirmation or remittance portion confirms attendance in classes for the semester indicated. Failure to return the confirmation/remittance portion, along with valid deferral or required payment, by the due date will result in deletion of courses. A postmark on or prior to the payment due date does not constitute evidence of having paid on time. Payments received late are subject to assessment of a late rebilling fee. Payments are deposited upon receipt. Post-dated checks cannot be accepted.

SUNY Cortland does not delete registrations for nonpayment or non-confirmation of attendance if the student processes an initial registration during the add/drop period. Failure to attend classes will not release students from liability for any course registrations.

Students are responsible for notifying the Registrar's Office or Graduate Studies Office as soon as possible if they have registered for the upcoming term but cannot attend.

Fees and assessments are due as indicated on billing statements. Other accrued debts owed to the College, or to any agency thereof, must be paid prior to registration. If the registration occurs in error, the College reserves the right to cancel current registrations for prior unpaid obligations. The College also reserves the right to withhold all information regarding the records of students, including transcripts, and prohibit future registration or granting of degrees for students in arrears in the payment of fees or other charges.

State law requires this agency to engage in collection activity on delinquent accounts. Accounts remaining unpaid at the end of the semester must be referred to outside collection agencies, the state attorney general or the state Department of Taxation and Finance. Late fees, interest and collection charges may be added to accounts considered more than 30 days past due pursuant to New York State, SUNY and Division of Budget Requirements.

Returned Check Policy

All financial instruments, including checks and Web checks (ACH checks), that are returned unpaid will incur a $20 returned item charge. All checks returned unpaid by the bank will be redeposited once. If the check is returned a second time, payment must be made by money order, certified check, cash or credit card. A $20 returned item charge will be incurred for the second rejected submission. Rejected credit card payments also will incur returned item charges.

Monthly Payment Plan Option

To assist students and parents/guardians in meeting financial obligations while attending the State University of New York College at Cortland, an installment plan is available. This fivepayment option may be selected on the semester billing statement or online. The cost is $35 per semester and must be paid with the first payment. The participation fee is not refundable. Subsequent payments are due on the 15th of each month (September-December for the fall semester and February-May for the spring semester). If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, payment is due the next immediate business day. The College cannot offer a payment plan for winter or summer terms due to their short duration.

Payments not received by the due date are subject to assessment of a late rebilling fee. Payment plan enrollment is for the current semester only. Students who fail to enroll during the first month of the plan (August for fall semester or January for spring semester) must make up any payment amount missed. All payment plans end the last month of the semester and must be paid in full. The College reserves the right to deny future participation to students who fail to remain current on time-payment plans.


Students who withdraw from SUNY Cortland before the semester begins or after a semester is under way may be entitled to receive refunds of some of the paid charges, deposits and fees. Those who are denied permission to register at the College will be entitled to a full refund of tuition, room and board charges. Students will receive a full refund of tuition and fees when a course is canceled by the College.

College withdrawal procedures must be followed in order to qualify for a refund. The Graduate Studies Office must have an official withdrawal form on file. Unofficial withdrawals do not qualify for refunds.

Tuition Deposit

Reduction of tuition liability is made according to SUNY Board of Trustees Policies. Students incur liability based on the length of the academic term and the date of official withdrawal. To qualify for liability adjustments and possible refund of paid amounts, students must follow the College's official withdrawal policy and fill out and properly submit official withdrawal from course or withdrawal from college form(s), which may be obtained at the Graduate Studies Office.

Unofficial withdrawals and judicial terminations/suspensions do not qualify for any reduction of tuition or fee liability. Stop payment orders on checks or credit card payments do not constitute official withdrawal.

Fee liability will only be adjusted up through the end of the first week of classes.

Tuition liability calculations are separate and distinct from aid eligibility calculations. Financial aid packages will be affected by applicable Federal Title IV Regulations for students who withdraw before the 60 percent completion point of the semester. Those receiving federal financial aid in the forms of guaranteed student loans, Pell, SEOG and Perkins loans may end up losing part or all of any aid awarded and/or paid. Students who are awarded 100 percent reduction of tuition and fee liability may not be eligible for any financial aid for that term. Any aid that has already been disbursed to the student may have to be immediately repaid to the College.

There will be no tuition or fee liability for students who withdraw to enter full-time active duty in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard of the United States. Students who are members of a National Guard or Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Air Force Reserve Unit are entitled to reduced liability only if, in the judgement of the designated school official, they are unable to attend classes due to hardship beyond their control and they have made bona fide efforts to permit continued attendance.

Documentation of membership and official orders must be provided to the College prior to liability reduction. In the event that a refund is granted to a student in National Guard or Reserve status, documentation of membership, orders and reasons for such actions shall be in writing and retained by the College (Bursar/ Student Accounts Office).

No money shall be refunded unless application for refund is made within one year after the end of term for which the tuition requested to be refunded was paid to State University of New York. Students requesting medical leave of absence should contact the Bursar/Student Accounts Office for refund information.

A student who is given permission to cancel his/her registration shall be liable for payment of tuition in accordance with the following schedule:

Tuition Liability During Indicated Week
Length of term   First   Second   Third   Fourth   Fifth
Full Semester   0   30%   50%   70%   100%
12-week term   0   40%   60%   100%    
10-week term   0   50%   70%   100%    
9-week term   0   55%   75%   100%    
Quarter or 8-week term   0   60%   80%   100%    
7-week term   0   65%   100%        
6-week term   0   70%   100%        
5-week term   0   75%   100%        


    Second day
of classes
Remainder of
first week
first week
4-week term   0   50%   100%
3-week term   0   65%   100%
2-week term   0   80%   100%
1-week term   100% — no refund once semester begins

Note: The first day of classes as scheduled by the campus shall be deemed to be the first day that any classes are offered, as scheduled by the campus' Academic Calendar Committee. The first day of the semester, quarter or other term, and the first week of classes for purposes of this section shall be deemed to have ended when seven calendar days, including the first day of scheduled classes, have elapsed.

Refunds will be made by check and mailed to the last known permanent address that the College has for the person seeking the refund. Room, tuition and board refunds require two weeks for processing.

College Fee

Once the semester begins, the College fee is nonrefundable, unless class is cancelled by the College.

Program Service or Course Activity Fees

The Program Service Fee is refundable only if students withdraw before the end of the first week of classes. After that date, the Program Service Fee is nonrefundable. Special activity fees, such as lab fees, art materials, etc., are not refundable after the end of the first week of classes.

Any courses with components taught at the Outdoor Education Center at Raquette Lake have fees attached specifically for that experience. During the official add/drop period, Outdoor Education Center fees are fully refundable. Students will incur 50 percent liability for the fee for any withdrawal after the end of the official add/drop period, but at least 15 days prior to the session at Raquette Lake. No refunds of Outdoor Education Center fees are given for any withdrawal that occurs within the 14-day period immediately preceding the Raquette Lake experience.

Meal Plans

Dining plan options may be changed only by written request filed at the ASC Office in Neubig Hall prior to the close of business on the Friday of the first full week of classes.

The New York State Sales Tax Code governs the terms for tax-exempt dining plan refunds. The code stipulates that qualified refunds for tax-exempt plans will be based on time criteria and not plan utilization (see College Handbook). ASC will grant prorated refunds for nondisciplinary withdrawals, limited to the first 10 weeks of the semester. No refunds will be granted for disciplinary withdrawals. Exceptions and special situations will be evaluated on a case by case basis by the ASC executive director. All eligible refunds will be reduced by a rate that fairly represents noncontrollable business overhead expenses. Refunds for the declining balance portion of the meal plan are prorated for the time remaining in the current dining schedule; the refund will reflect the prorated balance or the actual balance, whichever is lower.

Refunds are coordinated with the SUNY Cortland Student Accounts Office. The dining plan refund will be applied to any balance or debt owed to the College or ASC.

Refund/Repayment of Financial Aid Funds

Students who withdraw from the College before completing 60 percent of the semester for which they received federal financial aid may be required to return or repay part or all of the aid received, depending upon the date of withdrawal.

Up through the 60 percent point of the semester a prorated schedule, as set by the federal government, is used to determine the amount of Title IV aid a student has earned for the payment period. This percentage is determined by dividing the total number of days completed by the student for the term by the total number of calendar days in the payment period (start to end of semester), excluding scheduled breaks of five days or more and days that the student was on approved leave of absence.

The total amount of Title IV aid earned is then determined by multiplying this percentage by the total amount of Title IV aid disbursed plus the Title IV aid that could have been disbursed for the payment period (semester). Anything in excess of this amount must be returned to the federal programs in the following order up to the total net amount disbursed by each source: Unsubsidized student loans, subsidized student loans, Perkins Loans, parent PLUS loans, Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), and Other Title IV programs. Students are responsible for returning to SUNY Cortland any part of unearned aid that was disbursed to them.

Students should consult with the Financial Advisement Office prior to withdrawal to determine the financial impact. It is imperative that students adhere to the College's official withdrawal procedure to ensure the proper refund calculation.

Estimated Costs for a Year at SUNY Cortland*

    In State Out of State
Tuition and Fees   $8,079 $12,099
Meal Plan   $3,550-$3,950 depending on plan choice  
Other Costs:   May include books, supplies, lab/activity fees, parking/registration and personal expenses

Note: One-half of the above full-year tuition, room, board and all fees is due and payable to the College prior to the beginning of each semester. A monthly payment plan is available. The pre-admission deposit of $50, which is required of all new students, and the advanced room deposit of $150, will be applied to first-semester billings. A separate budget is available for commuter students.

*Based on 2008-2009 full-time/resident and nonresident. Subject to revision.

New York State Residents - Charges Per Semester*

Credit Hours




College Fee


Service Charge
















* Per credit hour. Effective Fall 2008 Semester: Tuition and fees are subject to changes without prior notice resulting from Board of Trustees or New York State legislative actions.

Non-New York State Residents - Charges Per Semester*

Credit Hours




College Fee


Service Charge
















* Per credit hour. Effective Fall 2008 Semester: Tuition and fees are subject to changes without prior notice resulting from Board of Trustees or New York State legislative actions.

Financial Advisement


Financial Advisement Office
Miller Building, Room 205
(607) 753-4717

Information contained in the financial advisement section of this catalog is reflective of federal/state/college information and regulations as of spring 2008 and is subject to change.

The Financial Advisement Office exists to provide a broad range of financial services, advice and education to our students, their families, and the Cortland area community. Services include all of the functions normally associated with financial aid and a number of additional services targeted both to aid recipients and to those students not receiving traditional need-based financial aid.

The bulk of the office's activity still revolves around grants, scholarships, student loans and work-study, but the office also can provide good information about everything from student credit cards to parent loans and home equity loans. It also endeavors to educate students on general financial matters, from budgeting and proper credit use, to identity theft prevention and managing a credit report/FICO score.

The Financial Advisement Office staff is available throughout a student's Cortland experience to share financial knowledge and provide good-sense answers to financial questions. Students are invited to visit the office and meet with an advisor. That's why their motto is, "We're more than just financial aid."

The Basics of Traditional Financial Aid

For graduate students, federal and New York State student financial aid programs are generally limited to those students who are accepted, enrolled and pursuing a master's degree program. In addition, federal student aid (not TAP) is available to students pursuing a certificate of advanced study (C.A.S.) program.

The traditional student financial aid programs are awarded based on financial need. Need is defined as the total cost of college attendance minus the amount the family is able to pay. The amount the family is able to pay is called the expected family contribution and is determined based on a formula mandated under federal law. The cost of attendance includes tuition, fees, room, board, books and supplies plus allowances for personal expenses and transportation.

The Financial Advisement Office also administers many funding programs that are not based on need, including scholarships (institutional and external), veteran's benefits, and alternative loans. Each package is created with a focus on the individual student's unique situation. The total aid received from all programs combined can never exceed the student's cost of attendance.

The Financial Aid Application Procedure

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required each year that students request financial assistance. SUNY Cortland's deadline for filing the application is March 1 prior to the award year. While those who apply late are still eligible for certain financial aid programs, late applicants are likely to experience significant delays in the processing and payment of awards.

Students are strongly encouraged to submit their FAFSA application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Early filing of the FAFSA is strongly recommended, but this document may not be submitted prior to January 1 preceding the award year.

The submission of a FAFSA results in the production of a Student Aid Report (SAR) which is e-mailed or sent to students home address. The data also are sent electronically to SUNY Cortland's Financial Advisement Office and the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC). The Financial Advisement Office determines eligibility for federal student financial aid such as grants, loans, work-study and other need-based higher education assistance sources.

Types of Financial Aid

There are four basic types of aid programs — grants, scholarships, loans and employment. Funds received from grants, scholarships and employment do not have to be repaid. Most aid programs are subject to legislative revision from time to time, and the descriptions that follow are based on information that is accurate at the time of publication.

Full Time Definition

For all financial aid programs and purposes, full-time study is defined as enrollment and attendance in 12 or more credit hours in a semester. Some programs allow payment of aid for part-time study at a reduced rate. Financial aid advisors have information about the financial implications of full-time study.

New York State Programs

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Application Procedures: New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC), 99 Washington Ave., Albany, N.Y. 12255, offers an online application process based on information reported in the FAFSA filed by students. Students are encouraged to complete the online TAP application immediately after completing the online FAFSA.

NYSHESC determines the applicants' eligibility and e-mails an award certificate to applicants indicating the amount of the grant. Award data are sent to the Financial Advisement Office electronically, and the College automatically defers payment on approved TAP awards.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: The TAP grant is an entitlement program. There is neither a qualifying examination nor a limited number of awards. The applicant must

  • be a New York State resident and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien;
  • be enrolled full-time in 12 or more credit hours in a semester and matriculated at an approved New York State postsecondary institution; and
  • meet family net taxable income criteria.

Students attending on a part-time basis because of a disability may receive a partial TAP award. These students should self-identify to the Financial Advisement Office for part-time TAP consideration.

Graduate students may receive awards for up to four years. No students, including opportunity students, may receive awards for more than a total of eight years of undergraduate and graduate study.

Award Schedule: The amount of the TAP award is scaled according to level of study, tuition charge and family New York State net taxable income. The income measure is by family or independent student New York State net taxable income from the preceding tax year and, for dependent students, support from divorced or separated parents. This income is further adjusted to reflect other family members enrolled full-time in postsecondary study. Under no circumstances will the total TAP award exceed tuition charges.

Note: Students who repeat courses that they have already passed for the purpose of improving their grades may jeopardize their eligibility for TAP. Regulations provide that students must take at least 12 credit hours of new course work each semester to qualify for full-time status. If any of those 12 credit hours are in a course being retaken for the purpose of improving a previous passing grade, the student will fail to qualify as a full-time student and will lose eligibility for TAP.

VESID Grants (Vocational Rehabilitation)

Information about state-provided financial assistance to students with disabilities may be obtained from the regional office of Vocational and Educational Services to Individuals with Disabilities (VESID).

Federal Programs

At the graduate level, students may be eligible for loans under the Federal Stafford Student Loan program and/or Federal Perkins Loan Program, and part-time employment under the Federal Work Study Program. A single application procedure is used for these programs, and the application data are used to determine eligibility for many other programs.

Application Procedures: Students apply for Title IV Aid by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA should be submitted for processing according to the directions in the instruction booklet. A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent to the applicant from the federal processor and the application data will be transmitted electronically to the Financial Advisement Office. Based upon these data, the student's eligibility is determined by the Financial Advisement Office. Funds are paid directly to the student's institutional account. Overages above billed charges are refunded directly to the student by the Bursar/Student Accounts Office.

TEACH Grant/Loan

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program is effective beginning with the 2008-2009 award year and provides up to $4,000 a year in grant assistance to students who plan on becoming a teacher and meet certain specified requirements. If a student who receives a TEACH Grant does not complete the required teaching, the grant must be repaid as a Direct Unsubsidized Loan under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Students should contact their advisor in the Financial Advisement Office for more information.

Federal Perkins Loans

This loan program is available in addition to traditional student loans for students with exceptional need. Total annual funding is limited and is based upon continuing collection of existing loans, and preference is given to undergraduate students. Graduate students should consult with their financial aid advisor if they believe they have exceptional need.

Application Procedures: Students must submit the FAFSA application to be considered for this aid source. Graduate students are rarely packaged for Perkins loans automatically, so graduate students are encouraged to meet with their financial aid advisor.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: Loans are available to students enrolled at least half-time in a master's degree program. Student must continue to make satisfactory academic progress to maintain eligibility.

Federal Work Study Program (FWS)

This program provides part-time employment opportunities for students on the campus and in the local community. Students are paid as regular part-time employees except that no FICA tax is withheld.

Application Procedures: Students must submit the FAFSA application to be considered for this aid source. Graduate students are rarely packaged for work study automatically, so graduate students are encouraged to meet with their financial aid advisor.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: Preference in work study positions is given to full-time undergraduate students, but some graduate students are also employed. Student must continue to make satisfactory academic progress to maintain eligibility. Other factors considered by the Financial Advisement Office in placing students to positions are student location preferences, class schedule, activity schedule and health status.

Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

These loans are the traditional "student loans" which are provided by banks/lending institutions and guaranteed by a guarantee agency.

Application Procedures: Students who submit the FAFSA are automatically considered for this aid source based on need. SUNY Cortland's financial aid package will automatically include Federal Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Stafford student loan eligibility. Completion of the Award Package Acceptance Form on myRedDragon is required for loan funds to be processed.

Special Note to First Time Borrowers: First-time borrowers at Cortland must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) from American Student Assistance (ASA) in Boston, Mass. Return of the completed, signed promissory note will complete the student portion of the process. In subsequent academic years, the existing MPN is used and a new MPN is not necessary. An Entrance Interview and selection of lender may also be required of all first-time student loan borrowers at Cortland. The College has arranged for students to perform these functions online on myRedDragon.

Graduate Plus Loan

Graduate or professional students are now eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan Program up to their cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance in both the FFEL and Direct Loan Program. The terms and conditions applicable to Parent PLUS Loans also apply to Graduate/Professional PLUS loans. Students should contact their advisor in the Financial Advisement Office for more information.

United States Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid to Native Americans

Application Procedures: Application forms may be obtained from the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, Office of Education, 849 C St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20240-0001. The name and mailing address of the applicants' tribe should be stated with the request. An application is necessary for each year of study. An official needs analysis from the College's Financial Advisement Office also is required each year. First-time applicants must obtain tribal enrollment certification from the Bureau agency or tribe which records enrollment for the tribe. Awards typically range from $500 to $4,000 per year.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: To be eligible, applicants must

  • be at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo or Aleut;
  • be an enrolled member of a tribe, band or group recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs;
  • be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an approved college or university, pursuing at least a four-year degree; and
  • have financial need.

Rights and Responsibilities of Recipients: For grants to be awarded in successive years, students must make satisfactory progress toward a degree and show financial need. Depending on availability of funds, grants also may be made to graduate students and summer session students. Eligible married students also may receive living expenses for dependents.

Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits

Armed forces veterans planning to receive benefits under the Veterans Education Benefits programs should contact the College's Veterans Affairs coordinator in the Financial Advisement Office immediately after verification of admission. Policies about benefits are determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and questions should be directed to the regional VA office in Buffalo, New York.

Tutoring is available without cost to veterans, within established norms, but must be approved and verified by the College's Veterans Affairs coordinator.

While veterans are required to pay all tuition and fees when due (as are all students), there are special guidelines for deferment of payments following establishment of eligibility through the Veterans Administration and the submission of a Certificate of Eligibility to the College's Veterans Affairs coordinator. To be eligible for full-time benefits, veterans are required to carry a course load of at least 12 credit hours.

Application Procedures: Application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations and American embassies. Completed forms are submitted to the nearest VA office.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: Persons who served on active duty, were honorably discharged at the end of their tours of duty, or who qualify because of service-connected disabilities, may be eligible for benefits. Veterans may apply for benefits for study at an approved postsecondary institution. Eligibility generally extends for 10 years after release from service. Veterans enrolled in full-time study may also be eligible for parttime employment under VA supervision and receive extra benefits.

Rights and Responsibilities of Recipients: Educational and vocational counseling will be provided by the VA on request. Institutions are required to report promptly to the VA interrupted attendance or termination of study on the part of students receiving benefits.

Independent/Non-Traditional Students

The Financial Advisement Office is responsive to the needs of independent and nontraditional students. If there are circumstances that create additional expenses, such as child-care costs, a financial aid advisor should be consulted.

Financial Independence for Student Financial Aid Programs

The Federal Student Aid program criteria for financial independence may be found in the FAFSA application. By federal law and regulation, students admitted to a graduate program are considered financially independent of their parents, regardless of living arrangements or financial support.

The financial independence criteria for the New York State TAP program are distinct from the federal criteria and hence may result in opposite dependency status determinations for the TAP program and federal programs. The independence criteria for TAP are prescribed in state law and administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation. The College has no authority to make exceptions for the TAP program.

Students with Disabilities

Institutions of higher education are required to consider any additional costs incurred by students with disabilities when awarding financial aid. Students who anticipate such additional expenses are encouraged to consult with their financial aid advisor.

Matriculation and Pursuit of Program

For purposes of financial aid eligibility, students' status (full-time, half-time, etc.) is determined by including only those credits that contribute to the degree being pursued. While it may be possible to attend additional courses for personal growth and enrichment (outside of those courses required for the degree program), those credits cannot be used to establish or increase eligibility for federal or New York State student aid, including VA benefits. This provision also applies to any course work taken abroad through the International Programs Office, and most undergraduate-level course work taken by graduate students.

Other Sources of Aid

Prospective students are encouraged to explore scholarship opportunities in their home communities. The Financial Advisement Office administers private scholarships awarded to Cortland students. Recipients may obtain deferment of payment of some registration charges against private scholarships awarded to them if the Financial Advisement Office has official notification from the scholarship sponsor. No deferments of payment will be made against private scholarships that will be paid directly to the student.

Emergency Student Loan Funds

Loan funds supported by the College's Auxiliary Services Corporation and the SUNY Cortland Alumni Association provide small amounts to student borrowers to cover financial emergencies. These short-term loans are available beginning one week after classes begin. They must be repaid within three months or three weeks before the end of the semester, whichever occurs first, and there is no interest charged if they are repaid on time. These loans are not designed to meet tuition, college fee, on-campus housing and board charges, or the cost of books. Application is made in person in the Financial Advisement Office and approval usually is obtained in one or two days.

Good Academic Standing for Financial Aid Eligibility

State Financial Aid Programs

State University of New York has University-wide standards for the award of assistance under the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). To be eligible for New York State assistance under these standards, students must enroll in at least 12 credit hours of courses for each semester in which they receive assistance and must meet the academic progress standards shown below.

In addition, TAP recipients must demonstrate that they are pursuing a program of study by completing a percentage of the minimum full-time course load each semester according to the following schedule.

Year of Eligibility   Percent Completed
(0-12 points)
(13-24 points)
(25-36 points)
(37-48 points)
  50 percent (six credit hours)
75 percent (nine credit hours)
100 percent (12 credit hours)
100 percent (12 credit hours)

Students who lose TAP eligibility may apply for a one-time waiver from the Financial Advisement Office. Waiver decisions are made by an appeals committee. Waivers may be granted only for exceptional and unusual circumstances beyond the students' direct control.

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Purpose of Determining Eligibility for New York State Student Aid

Before being certified for payment a student must have:










Graduate Level (except professional)
Accrued at least this many credits
At least this grade point average


























Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Determining Continuing Eligibility for Federal Title IV Student Aid


Minimum Cumulative
Grade Point Average

Cumulative Credit Hours

Graduate-Level Students


65 percent

Federal law and regulation require institutions of higher education to establish, publish and enforce minimum academic standards for the continued receipt of Federal Title IV Financial Aid. The Title IV Financial Aid Programs available to graduate students are the Federal Work Study Program, TEACH Grant/Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, and the Federal Family Education Loan Program, including Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

The charts above and the attached text are the published standards for SUNY Cortland. Failure to maintain academic performance in compliance with these standards will result in loss of future eligibility for Federal Title IV Financial Aid, including student loans.

Maximum Time-frame Standard: Eligibility for Title IV Financial Aid is also limited to students completing their programs within one and one-half times the normal program length. For regular, full-time undergraduate students, the maximum time frame is 12 semesters. For part-time students, transfer students, students enrolled in dual majors and students with a history of both full-and part-time enrollment, the maximum time frame is reached when the student has attempted more than one-and-onehalf the number of credits required to earn the degree(s).

Timing of Evaluations and Evaluation Process: The standard measures academic progress at the end of each semester in which Title IV aid is awarded to students (not including winter minisemester). Evaluation of progress will occur shortly after final grades have been posted by the registrar and notices will be sent out promptly. Attempted credits include all course work included in students' academic history at SUNY Cortland, except for transfer credits, advanced placement credits and CLEP credits.

Earned credits include all attempted courses for which a passing grade has been received (quality points awarded). Grades listed as Incomplete or Late Grade at the time of evaluation will be considered attempted and unearned, but will not affect the grade point average. All other grades will be calculated in accordance with the College's grading system as described in the Academic Policies section of this catalog.

Data Corrections: If academic records are changed subsequent to the evaluation date, students may submit a written request to the financial advisement director for re-evaluation of the ineligibility determination. The most common situation leading to such a request is the successful resolution of Incomplete or Late grades.

Appeal of Ineligibility Decision: A determination of ineligibility may be appealed based on mitigating circumstances. A mitigating circumstance is defined as an exceptional or unusual event(s) beyond the student's direct control that contributed to or caused the academic difficulty.

Appeal letters should be addressed to the financial advisement director and should include a complete description of the circumstances that led to the academic difficulty and a plan for future academic success. Copies of supporting documentation should also be included. All appeals are reviewed by a committee of academic and financial professional staff whose determination is final. The committee will report all appeal decisions directly to the students and to the financial advisement director.

A mitigating circumstance appeal may not be used to justify a pattern of poor performance or to override the maximum time frame standard.

Regaining Eligibility: Students who lose eligibility may regain it by successfully completing courses at SUNY Cortland with grades sufficient to meet the stated requirements. Such courses must be funded without benefit of Title IV aid and under no circumstances will aid be paid retroactively for those courses once eligibility has been re-established.

Upon completion of these courses, a student should submit a written request to the financial advisement director for re-evaluation of eligibility. Students who have been absent from SUNY Cortland for a period of not less than eighteen months may submit a request for re-evaluation of eligibility upon re-admission to the College. Such re-evaluation shall be based upon demonstrated correction of the previous academic difficulty and likelihood of future academic success.

The re-evaluation request must be in writing and addressed to the financial advisement director. The request will be reviewed by a committee of academic and financial professional staff whose determination is final. The committee will report all re-evaluation decisions directly to the student and to the financial advisement director.

Assistantships and Fellowships


Financial Advisement Office
Miller Building, Room 205
(607) 753-4717

Foundation Graduate Assistantships

Award: Merit-based award comprised of partial tuition waiver and stipend. Amount is determined annually.
Eligibility Criteria: Presented to master's degree candidates who work as graduate assistants in academic/administrative departments.

Graduate Assistantships by Department

Award: Merit-based partial tuition waiver. Some departments may award a stipend. Assistantships are renewable for a second year.
Eligibility Criteria: Awarded to matriculated graduate students who either teach or perform other functions for academic or administrative departments.
Availability: Check with the Graduate Studies Office or on the Human Resources Web page under Jobs in mid-March for various assistantships. These do vary year by year based on program needs.

Graduate Diversity Fellowships

Award: Merit-based award of up to $10,000 per year comprised of partial tuition waiver and stipend. Amount is determined annually. Annual award covers above and beyond the state and federal aid the student receives.
Eligibility Criteria: Awarded to students who will contribute to the diversity of the SUNY Cortland campus. Students having a diverse background or historical disadvantages are encouraged to apply.

Additional information on graduate assistantships can be found on the Web at cortland.edu/gradstudies/.



Financial Advisement Office
Miller Building, Room 205
(607) 753-4717

Graduate student scholarship opportunities are limited; therefore, students are advised to pay close attention to deadlines and criteria. Scholarships often have a financial need component. It is recommended that graduate students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year regardless of whether or not they are interested in student loans. The FAFSA is the main financial aid application that is required for all need-based scholarships.

Unless stated otherwise, scholarship recipients must comply with the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines as shown in the table above in order to maintain their scholarships. SAP is reviewed after each semester. Students who lose federal aid eligibility will lose their scholarship as well. Students who lose eligibility should follow the same appeal procedures as outlined for Federal Student Aid in the table above.

The following list is complete as of publication of this catalog, but new awards are added frequently. The College's scholarship coordinator, located in the Financial Advisement Office, maintains a database of Cortland scholarships and other external scholarships. In addition, the scholarship coordinator routinely posts new internal and external scholarship opportunities to the scholarships and financial aid special interest mailing list and publishes a complete listing of all Cortland scholarships annually. Students interested in applying for Cortland scholarships are encouraged to review those listed in this catalog. Scholarship application information may be found on the Cortland Web site.

Arethusa Scholarship

Award: One-time merit/need-based award of up to $1,000.
Donor: Established by the Sisters of the Arethusa Sorority.
Eligibility Criteria: Awarded to a full-time sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student having a 2.5 grade point average or better and demonstrated financial need. Leadership and involvement in campus life are taken into consideration.

Assistant Coach Scholarship

Award: Merit-based award of tuition support for up to four three credit-hour courses (or equivalent) per year.
Eligibility Criteria: Interested students must be SUNY Cortland students in one of the following categories:

  • Undergraduate or graduate student or with plans to enroll in a graduate program within one-and-a-half years
  • An assistant coach with responsibilities consistent with Level 5 or above

Recipient may not participate as an athlete in intercollegiate athletics.

Yuki Chin Memorial Scholarship

Award: Amount of this merit-based award is determined by the International Programs Office.
Donor: Established by Wah Chip Chin to provide financial assistance for graduate students from the Capital Normal University to attend SUNY Cortland.
Eligibility Criteria:
The main purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance for graduate students from the Capital Normal University to attend SUNY Cortland. The scholarship may also be used to benefit the following student types listed in priority order:

  1. Chinese graduate students attending SUNY Cortland from other Mainland China universities;
  2. Graduate students attending SUNY Cortland from universities in other Asian countries;
  3. American undergraduates (juniors and seniors) or graduate students enrolled at SUNY Cortland who choose to study in the following order of priority at:
    1. Capital Normal University in Beijing;
    2. Other Mainland China universities;
    3. Other Asian universities.

Community Scholarship for Student Volunteers and Interns

Award: One-time merit/need-based award of up to $1,000.
Donor: Established by LaRetha Lehman, professor emerita of physical education.
Eligibility Criteria: Awarded to students who have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours at SUNY Cortland. A minimum 2.5 grade point average is required when applying. Preference is given to students who are working or volunteering at the Cortland YWCA, physical education majors and females.

Graduate Opportunity Program Tuition Scholarship

Award: One-time need-based award of cost of tuition per semester.
Eligibility Criteria: Available to matriculated graduate students who were former EOP, HEOP or SEEK program graduates.

Non-Traditional Student Scholarship

Award: One-time merit/need-based award of at least $500.
Donor: Established by an anonymous donor.
Eligibility Criteria: Awarded to a full-time or part-time sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student, with demonstrated financial need, who has completed at least 12 credit hours of study at SUNY Cortland and is taking at least six credit hours in the semester the scholarship is received. Student is nontraditional in the sense that his/her college education has been interrupted. Age is not a factor. Both males and females are eligible. Preference will be given to deserving candidates who have earned a minimum 2.5 grade point average in prior course work.

Fr. Edward O'Heron Scholarship

Award: One-time merit-based award of at least $1,000.
Donor: Established by the Newman Foundation Board to benefit academically promising English majors, with preference given to juniors, seniors and graduate students who exemplify Fr. O'Heron's commitment to others. The purpose of this fund is to honor the 38 year legacy of Fr. O'Heron as Catholic Chaplain of SUNY Cortland, his commitment to students and his love of literature.
Eligibility Criteria: Awarded to a junior, senior or graduate student majoring in English or adolescence education: English. Minimum grade point average of 3.0 and 500-word essay required. Preference given to students who demonstrate qualities of caring, community service and helping others as demonstrated by the life of Fr. O'Heron. Intellectual promise as an English teacher or writer also considered.

Student Government Association Leadership Scholarship

Award: One-time merit-based awards of up to $1,250.
Donor: Established and supported by the Student Government Association (SGA).
Eligibility Criteria: Sophomores, juniors, seniors or graduate students with a minimum 2.5 grade point average demonstrating leadership skills through SGA or other campus service projects, with community service in the Cortland area as a second priority.

Marion C. Thompson Memorial Scholarship in English

Award: One-time merit/need-based award of up to $1,500.
Donor: Established in 1983 from the estate of Dr. Marion C. Thompson, a professor of English at Cortland for 24 years until her retirement in 1966. Professor Thompson, an authority on folklore in American literature, died in 1982 and, through her will, stipulated that scholarship be awarded to English majors based upon merit and financial need.
Eligibility Criteria: Available to junior, senior or graduate students who are English majors having demonstrated academic success and financial need.