Kevin Halpin, chair
Dowd Fine Arts Center, Room 216
School of Arts and Sciences
Faculty and Staff
Jacob Carll, Deena Conley, Lynn Craver, Kevin Halpin, Scott Holdredge, Edward Moore, David Neal, Joel Pape, Simone Scalici
For a listing of adjunct faculty see the Faculty and Administration section.
Degree and Minors
Bachelor of Arts in Musical Theatre
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre
Minor in American Musical Theatre
The Performing Arts Department offers a major in musical theatre, and a minor in American Musical Theatre. Independent degree programs in technical theatre may also be created by advisement. The department offers a wide range of intellectual and performance opportunities in music, theatre and dance, which are open to beginning through advanced students from all disciplines in the College. Theoretical study is balanced with practical work to allow students to explore the creative, aesthetic and intellectual aspects of these arts. Applied music (private study), music ensembles, plays and musical theatre productions highlight the skills developed in the classroom, studio and stage.
Musical Theatre graduates have found success in professional productions in New York, regional theaters on national and international tours, as well as in community theatre organizations. They assist and provide leadership in primary and secondary school productions, and often continue their education in musical theatre in an M.F.A. or M.A. program in theatre or musical theatre.
- Facilities include a newly renovated, state of the art, 375 seat proscenium theatre, recital hall, black box "lab" theatre, performance studios, dance studio, choral rehearsal room, scene shop and costume shop
- Four fully staged productions per year. Seasons are comprised of musicals and plays, providing versatile performance opportunities for students
- Individual attention from world-class faculty in a liberal arts setting
- Workshops and master classes with current industry professionals
- Scholarship support in musical theatre
- Degree requirements listed in this catalog apply to all of the majors offered by this department.
- Liberal Arts Requirements: B.A. – 90 credit hours, B.F.A. - 30 credit hours.