Dowd Fine Arts Center, Room 216
Arts and Sciences
David Neal (Chair), Thomas Hischak, Ralph Dudgeon, Kevin Halpin, Howard Lindh, Preston Marye, Edward Moore, Joel Pape, Stephen Wilson, Karen Bals Zimmerman
For a listing of adjunct faculty see the Faculty and Administration section.
Bachelor of Arts in Musical Theatre
American Musical Theatre
The Performing Arts Department offers a major in musical theatre, and minors in music and theatre, as well as an interdisciplinary minor in American Musical Theatre. Independent degree programs in technical theatre also may be created by advisement. The department offers a wide range of intellectual and performance opportunities in music, theatre and dance, which are open to beginning through advanced students from all disciplines in the College. Theoretical study is balanced with practical work to allow students to explore the creative, aesthetic and intellectual aspects of these arts. Applied music (private study), music ensembles, dramatic productions and musical theatre productions highlight the skills developed in the classroom, studio and stage.
Musical Theatre graduates have found success in professional New York, regional and touring companies, as well as in community theatre organizations. They assist and provide leadership in primary and secondary school productions, and often continue their education in musical theatre in an M.F.A. or M.A. program in music, theatre or musical theatre.
- Facilities include a 477-seat theatre, recital hall, lab theatre, many practice rooms, choral and instrumental rehearsal halls, and dance studio
- Instruments provided by the department to participants in ensembles
- Music and Listening Library
- Production of a main-stage musical each semester
- Individual attention from a world-class faculty in a liberal arts setting
- Scholarship support in theatre and music
- Alpha Psi Omega, national dramatic society
- Touring musical and dramatic groups
- Degree requirements listed here apply to all of the majors offered by this department.
- Liberal Arts Requirements: B.A. – 90 credit hours